Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Modem Help

Modem Help

Rob Sullivan

Hi All,
I have a U.S. Robotics 56k external modem and I was wondering if there was
anyway I could configure it to knock me offline when a call comes in(I have
call waiting). Thanks in advance.
--
Rob

olfart

"Rob Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq8m6t$1v4oll$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Hi All,
> I have a U.S. Robotics 56k external modem and I was wondering if there was
> anyway I could configure it to knock me offline when a call comes in(I

have
> call waiting). Thanks in advance.
> --
> Rob

if you set it up *not* to dial the *70 prefix it should go offline when you
get a call. Go to My Computer>Dial up networking and change it there.

olfart

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq8mq7$205lsn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Rob Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq8m6t$1v4oll$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > Hi All,
> > I have a U.S. Robotics 56k external modem and I was wondering if there

was
> > anyway I could configure it to knock me offline when a call comes in(I

> have
> > call waiting). Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Rob
> >

> if you set it up *not* to dial the *70 prefix it should go offline when

you
> get a call. Go to My Computer>Dial up networking and change it there.

or see if your ISP supports V92. If so, go to the US Robotics (3Com) website
and you can probably find a V92 update for your modem. It worked for my ext
US Robtics

Thor

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq8mq7$205lsn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Rob Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq8m6t$1v4oll$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > Hi All,
> > I have a U.S. Robotics 56k external modem and I was wondering if there

was
> > anyway I could configure it to knock me offline when a call comes in(I

> have
> > call waiting). Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Rob
> >

> if you set it up *not* to dial the *70 prefix it should go offline when

you
> get a call. Go to My Computer>Dial up networking and change it there.

There's just no guarantee of that, especially with US Robotics hardware
modems. They and many others frequently remain unaffected by the
call-waiting signal, and happily stay online.