Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Success

Success

Thor

yeah, it was plain text on my end too, but also had a couple of picture
attachments that were little shortcut arrows from the HTML help formatting.
OE decided to attach those as well. I saw them on my post when it showed up
on my news server. They may have been stripped off automatically on your
end.

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > well, now. That was interesting. When I copy/pasted out of the help
> > file, OE went ahead and attached the little graphic files that were
> > part of the HTML help page, even though I post in plain text. Whoops.
> > I'll have to watch that next time.

> It came through as plain text on my end...
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Trent©

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:45:35 +0000 (UTC), "Alan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for all the help, I have successfully install my second HD which is
>working fine. At present I have it on NTFS and my original HD on FAT32 and
>may keep this configuration for a while to observe the differences. Thanks
>to you all.
>Regards
>Alan
>UK

And you CAN convert that NTFS drive to FAT32 when you so desire, Alan.
You just can't do it with Windows.

NTFS and FAT32 are both fine...until something goes wrong.

With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.

If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

Good luck...

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.
>
> If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
> week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

Have you been hitting the crack pipe? It is near impossible to lose data
off an NTFS drive unless something becomes physically defective.

--

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:34:20 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.
>>
>> If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
>> week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

>Have you been hitting the crack pipe? It is near impossible to lose data
>off an NTFS drive unless something becomes physically defective.

LOSE it?!

Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

Really? So a 9x boot disk with NTFSDOS is impossible?

--

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:40:16 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

>Really? So a 9x boot disk with NTFSDOS is impossible?

THEN what will you do? lol

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Michael-NC

Alan, disregard any and all information from Trent. He is simply a troll who
enjoys passing on misinformation. His reputation on this board is well known
by all. He's regarded as scum.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq7cgu$7kr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> To e-mail leave out REMOVEME from address.
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.
> >
> > FAT32 has less overhead, and it's speedier on small volumes, compared to
> > NTFS, according to what I've read. It's also easier to get access to

files
> > on a FAT32 volume when windows is crippled.
> >
> > FAT32 is a far less efficient storage method with larger volumes

compared
> > NTFS. There is typically an incredible amount of file slack on the

average
> > FAT32 volume on a large drive (something larger than 10GB) FAT32 is less
> > robust and less resistant to file system problems than NTFS. Minor file
> > system errors, lost allocation units, FSinfo misreporting, etc. are

> routine
> > occurrences with FAT32. NTFS rarely has corruption problems unless there

> is
> > a hardware issue, even with abnormal shutdowns, etc. FAT32 is less

secure
> > than NTFS. You can easily encrypt, and compress data in windows with

NTFS.
> > You also get a host of file and folder permission options with NTFS.

It's
> > must for running on a network where security is a concern.
> >
> > The sole biggest downside to NTFS, to me, is the issue of quickly

> accessing
> > important data or working on files from a command-prompt environment if
> > windows is hosed to the point where it won't boot up. But there are

tools
> > available to make it easier. NTFS-aware boot tools can allow you to get
> > around these issues for the most part. I run NTFS on my personal

machine,
> > and it runs great. Very trouble-free. I recommend it.
> >

> > "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bq6alf$fat$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Many thanks Thor, it worked. Whilst here can I ask if I can change my
> > > original HD from FAT 32 to NTFS and if so how? I would also be

> > interested
> > > in your opinions and preference on these two systems.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Alan
> > > UK
> > >

> Thanks for all the help, I have successfully install my second HD which is
> working fine. At present I have it on NTFS and my original HD on FAT32

and
> may keep this configuration for a while to observe the differences.

Thanks
> to you all.
> Regards
> Alan
> UK

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> THEN what will you do? lol

.... Read the data you need? I fail to see how a destroyed operating
system in either case (FAT32 or NTFS) changes much. If you want to
reinstall the OS, either way it won't wipe other data on the drive. Do you
have a point this time?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Plato

Thor wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.

'cause you/re too busy posting in html [g]

V W Wall

Plato wrote:

> Thor wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.

> 'cause you/re too busy posting in html [g]

Don't look a .gif horse in the mouth! ;-O

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........