Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > internet optimizer

internet optimizer

tim

Has anybody had an issue with "internet optimizer" ? it invaded my internet
explorer and I lost the tiltle bar which has the internet address for searching
the web.
A look-alike address bar is a search bar is only good for search options.
all commands and mouse clicks get no action.
How can I remove this?
I did a virus scan and nothing was found.
thanks,
tim

Pepperoni

http://tinyurl.com/wouf
(Google search)
A lot of folks seem to have a problem with this thing.
The following description comes from:
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/InternetOptimizer.html
and I cannot personally vouch for the reliability of the information.

Pepperoni

Description
Internet Optimizer is an error page hijacker.

Variants
InternetOptimizer/Iopti: unknown-server errors, page-missing errors, server
errors and even password-required errors are redirected to Internet
Optimizer's controlling server at www.internet-optimizer.com.

InternetOptimizer/Nem: as Iopti, but searches are hijacked to yoogee.com (a
search site run by the makers of InternetOptimizer).

InternetOptimizer/Wsem: a larger version of the software, whose purpose is
unclear.

InternetOptimizer/Crmrest: an ActiveX downloader control for
InternetOptimizer.

Also known as
DyFuCA.

Distribution
May be installed by MoneyTree/DyFuCA, or the Crmrest variant. The latter
poses as a comedy or porn video from the site movies-etc.com, and when
allowed to install may forward a mail to all contacts in your Outlook
address book, promoting movies-etc in your name.

What it does
Advertising
Yes. The 'DyFuCA Active Alert' component can open pop-up 'alerts' when
directed by its controlling server.

Privacy violation
Suspected. The EULA at Internet Optimizer's web site states the software may
send all your browsing information back to its controllers. At the time of
writing, however, this has not been seen to happen with the current version
of the software.

Security issues
Yes. Can download and execute arbitrary unsigned code from its controlling
server, as an update feature.

Stability problems
Unknown; some unclear user reports of it causing crashes.

Removal
Check the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs feature for 'Active Alert' and
'Internet Optimizer'. If these entries are there, using both should result
in InternetOptimizer's correct removal. Afterwards, ensure MoneyTree/DyFuCA
is no longer loaded.

Manual removal
For the Crmrest installer variant, open the Downloaded Program Files folder
(inside the Windows folder) and remove the 'Media Manager' entry.

For other variants, open the Windows folder. You should be able to see a
file 'ioptiXXX.dll' (Iopti variant), 'nemXXX.dll' (Nem variant) or
'wsemXXX.dll' (Wsem variant). The XXX differs for different versions; common
versions are 'iopti130.dll', 'nem207.dll' and 'wsem210.dll'.

Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit') and find
the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run.
Delete the entries 'DyFuCA' and 'DyFuCA Active Alerts'.

Now open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories),
and enter the following commands (for the Iopti variant):

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u ..\iopti130.dll
Or, for the Nem variant:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u ..\nem207.dll
Or, for the Wsem variant:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u ..\wsem210.dll
Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the DLL from the
Windows folder, and the 'DyFuCA', 'Internet Optimizer' or 'STWSI' folder you
may have inside Program Files. You can also delete the subkey 'FCI' in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software to clean up if
you like.

Links
Avenue Media wrote and control InternetOptimizer.

Parasite detection & information

"tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Has anybody had an issue with "internet optimizer" ? it invaded my

internet
> explorer and I lost the tiltle bar which has the internet address for

searching
> the web.
> A look-alike address bar is a search bar is only good for search options.
> all commands and mouse clicks get no action.
> How can I remove this?
> I did a virus scan and nothing was found.
> thanks,
> tim

Pepperoni

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100486

Check your virus profiles using the names
Adware-Dyfuca, App/ViewMov-A (Sophos)

"Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

you
>may have inside Program Files. You can also delete the subkey 'FCI' in
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software to clean up if
>you like.
>
>Links
>Avenue Media wrote and control InternetOptimizer.
>
>Parasite detection & information
>
>"tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Has anybody had an issue with "internet optimizer" ? it invaded my

>internet
>> explorer and I lost the tiltle bar which has the internet address for

>searching
>> the web.
>> A look-alike address bar is a search bar is only good for search options.
>> all commands and mouse clicks get no action.
>> How can I remove this?
>> I did a virus scan and nothing was found.

Pepporoni,
Thank you so much for your response. this was really a problem and I will
use your advice,
tim

Pepperoni

Any time you have an unusual problem, the best research site available (in
my opinion) is Google. Google not only archives newsgroup messages, it has
a very good search function. You can't always trust the opinions of
newsgroup posters, but they often find resources and information which is
useful--- such as hardware problems, virus aliases, and software fixes.
http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...ouncement.html

You can also post to Usenet when your server is down, and research poster
history.

I hope the information was helpful.