Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Reserved System Space on Hard Drive?

Reserved System Space on Hard Drive?

Jack Barrett

Whenever I Defrag there are always areas reserved for "System Space" and it
never seems to be in the same location.
The size of this area changes every time also.
I am using XP Pro with Diskeeper Defrag Tool.
What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

Thanks,

Jack

DeMoN LaG

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
@news01.roc.ny:

> What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
while in use. Just two possibilities

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

NoOne

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
> @news01.roc.ny:
>
> > What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

> System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
> while in use. Just two possibilities
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

One more.
Some manufacturers reserve space for their files. IE: Compaq does this so
that you use a "system restore" disk to restore your machine. The disk
looks for the files. In my case it was a small "D" partition.

Robert Baer

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
> @news01.roc.ny:
>
> > What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

> System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
> while in use. Just two possibilities
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
written the software to move those system files.
As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).
And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
location.
All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
(somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
info, servo info, and who knows what else).

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FC65643.DD7CDDF1
@earthlink.net:

> Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
> The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
> written the software to move those system files.

They are files that should not be moved. The page file should not be
moved while it is in use. Critical OS files should not be moved while
there is a chance they may need to be read.

> As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
> record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).

I don't consider the boot record to be a file in the same sense that %
windir%\NTOSKRNL.EXE is a file

> And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
> non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
> location.

Again, I don't consider this to be a file in the same reguard we are
talking about.

> All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
> (somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
> info, servo info, and who knows what else).

None of these things will appear in the defragmenter view as unmovable
files, as the OS does not recognize them as a file, merely as sectors on
the hard drive

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FC65643.DD7CDDF1
> @earthlink.net:
>
> > Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
> > The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
> > written the software to move those system files.

> They are files that should not be moved. The page file should not be
> moved while it is in use. Critical OS files should not be moved while
> there is a chance they may need to be read.
>
> > As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
> > record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).

> I don't consider the boot record to be a file in the same sense that %
> windir%\NTOSKRNL.EXE is a file
>
> > And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
> > non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
> > location.

> Again, I don't consider this to be a file in the same reguard we are
> talking about.
>
> > All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
> > (somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
> > info, servo info, and who knows what else).

> None of these things will appear in the defragmenter view as unmovable
> files, as the OS does not recognize them as a file, merely as sectors on
> the hard drive
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)