Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Lost half of my hard drive

Lost half of my hard drive

zaqona

I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I can't
get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my XP side
back?

---

Duane Arnold

"zaqona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bpr5sf$1rhltc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
> can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
> XP side back?
>

> ---

I think you have hosed the machine, and you may need to reinstall XP.

Duane

mark mandell

news:Xns943C9D79697A2darnold92insightbbco@216.148. 227.77...
> "zaqona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bpr5sf$1rhltc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>

> > I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
> > can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
> > XP side back?

In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of any
help either.

> > ---
> >

> I think you have hosed the machine, and you may need to reinstall XP.
>
> Duane

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:05bwb.17103$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:

> Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were
> of any help either.

Recovery Console:
fixboot
fixmbr
<reboot>
done

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

derek / nul

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:07:40 GMT, "mark mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Xns943C9D79697A2darnold92insightbbco@216.148 .227.77...
>> "zaqona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:bpr5sf$1rhltc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>>

>> > I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
>> > can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
>> > XP side back?

>In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
>because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
>Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of any
>help either.

This is most certainly not my experience, the repair console is the way to go.

mark mandel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:Xns943C9D79697A2darnold92insightbbco@216.148 .227.77...
> >> "zaqona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:bpr5sf$1rhltc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> >In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
> >because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
> >Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of

any
> >help either.

> This is most certainly not my experience, the repair console is the way to

go.

This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that happened
to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the effect
of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

So I'll have to concede that the person who originally posted the problem
may have different circumstances than I have had.

Mark

Trent©

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
>back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that happened
>to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the effect
>of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

Do you even understand why that is?

Have a nice week...

Trent

mark mandel

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
> >back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that

happened
> >to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the

effect
> >of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

> Do you even understand why that is?

To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............

Mark

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity!

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eCxwb.13769$n56.12022
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............

Depending on what type of image you made (drive, partition), and how you
restored it, you either removed all information about the XP partition, or
you simply overwrote the XP installation's boot loader (which would make
the machine boot to 98 without giving an option).

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eCxwb.13769$n56.12022
> @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
> > To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............
> >

> Depending on what type of image you made (drive, partition), and how you
> restored it, you either removed all information about the XP partition, or
> you simply overwrote the XP installation's boot loader (which would make
> the machine boot to 98 without giving an option).

But then it dawned on me just a short time ago tonight that just
transferring the hard drive from one PC to the other caused the partition on
which I had XP to get wiped out even before I ghosted the Win98 partition
onto it(using the Norton Ghost backup on CD's). My guess then is that the
BIOS in the second PC was responsible for overwriting the XP boot loader.
The letter for the logical drive assigned to the XP partition was different
on this hard drive than it was on the hard drive that originally came with
this PC. Hope this isn't too confusing!

Mark