Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I tranfer data with a very long cable?

Can I tranfer data with a very long cable?

Jones

Hi,
I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
Will I have problems?
Will the data be correctly transferred?
thanks

bye Jones

derek / nul

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:17:37 GMT, Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
>It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.

what cable?
what transfer method?

>Will I have problems?

I don't have a crystal ball.

>Will the data be correctly transferred?
>thanks
>
> bye Jones

Denis Bolotnov

> Hi,
> I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
> It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
> Will I have problems?
> Will the data be correctly transferred?

If you will have connect all correctly then NO!
You will not have a problems!

Den.

Justin Olanin

What cable, probably a serial cable right? Some cables have distant limits.

--
Justin Olanin
Email - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Robert Baer

Jones wrote:

> Hi,
> I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
> It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
> Will I have problems?
> Will the data be correctly transferred?
> thanks
>
> bye Jones

After reading the other responses, please note: *all* cables and data
transmission methods have distance limits, and those limits vary
according to the cable construction and signalling protocol (which
includes the hardware).
For best results, use a null modem cable with RS-232.
As long as the environnment is not electrically noisy or the cable
does not pass by a RFI device (eg: generator, another PC), ther should
be no problems.

Trent©

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:17:37 GMT, Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.

What's a decoder?

Have a nice week...

Trent

MrToad

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> Ran in the back door and shouted
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Jones wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
>> It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
>> Will I have problems?
>> Will the data be correctly transferred?
>> thanks
>>
>> bye Jones

> After reading the other responses, please note: *all* cables and data
> transmission methods have distance limits, and those limits vary
> according to the cable construction and signalling protocol (which
> includes the hardware).
> For best results, use a null modem cable with RS-232.
> As long as the environnment is not electrically noisy or the cable
> does not pass by a RFI device (eg: generator, another PC), ther should
> be no problems.

To expand a bit further,
From:
http://www.connectworld.net/cable-length.html

___

NOTE on RS-232 Serial Cables

At lower peripheral speeds of up to 9600 baud,serial interfaces can
usually operate over cables up to 50 feet long. Use of special high
quality cable may in some cases allow this limit to be extended to as
much as 150 feet.
___

At 15-15 meters, you're at the end limit, [@ 9600 baud], for a
"standard" RS-232 cable.
Just keep that in mind when you buy a cable....

--
MrToad

Having compilation error: no match for call to ‘(const __gnu_cxx::hash<long long int>) (const long long int&)’ veryhotsausage C++ 1 07-04-2008 05:41 PM
Data Tranfer bbawa1@yahoo.com ASP .Net 2 06-12-2007 05:53 AM
very very very long integer Abhishek Jha C Programming 4 10-17-2004 08:19 AM
Re: Can I tranfer data with a very long cable? Jones Computer Information 1 11-24-2003 04:32 PM

Advertisments