Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > win 98 doesn't recognize all ram

win 98 doesn't recognize all ram

Richard

I have 256 mb of ram on my computer but window only recognize 192.

When I tried one strip at the time one give me 128 mb the other 64 mb even
if it is a 128 mb why ??BTW the latter is brand new

Thanks

Richard

Thor

the new module is either faulty, or incompatible with your board.

news:2KQvb.22939$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I have 256 mb of ram on my computer but window only recognize 192.
>
> When I tried one strip at the time one give me 128 mb the other 64 mb even
> if it is a 128 mb why ??BTW the latter is brand new
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the new module is either faulty, or incompatible with your board.
>

> ..
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2KQvb.22939$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > I have 256 mb of ram on my computer but window only recognize 192.
> >
> > When I tried one strip at the time one give me 128 mb the other 64 mb

even
> > if it is a 128 mb why ??BTW the latter is brand new
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Richard

Thor, the system came originaly with PC 100 sdram dimm 168 pin. (IBM Aptiva
333 k6-2, 2153 E2U)

Both new strip are PC 133 sdram dimm 168 pin. One works well the other not,
but should be compatible....I think since I read that pc 133 works on
pc100 system but not the opposite, it is true ?

I'll try to exchange the defective one, thanks a lot for your input ,

Richard

Thor

> Thor, the system came originaly with PC 100 sdram dimm 168 pin. (IBM

Aptiva
> 333 k6-2, 2153 E2U)
>
> Both new strip are PC 133 sdram dimm 168 pin. One works well the other

not,
> but should be compatible....I think since I read that pc 133 works on
> pc100 system but not the opposite, it is true ?
>
> I'll try to exchange the defective one, thanks a lot for your input ,
>
> Richard

Some PC-100 boards reject PC-133 modules due to chip density. I've had this
happen a few times. If you go to Crucial.com their reference system will
tell you whether your system has a particular need for a specific type of
PC-100 or PC-133 module.

mbowen83

I don't know if this is the case but it might be using some of the ram for
video.

mbowen83

Thor

IIRC, an IBM Aptiva K6 machine with SMA video would be lucky to use more
than 8MB in shared memory. I seriously doubt that old thing would be capable
of using 64.

news:mL0wb.27942$(E-Mail Removed). ..