Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Too simple a solution?

Too simple a solution?

mark mandel

On a PC I've just recently built that has a multi boot system(Win 98 and
XP), it wouldn't boot into 98 and I heard what I suspected was the spinning
sound of the hard drive. This hard drive I had in my other PC when
previously I had used it to "ghost" a backup image from the Win 98; I was
only able to do this in the old PC because that was where I originally
created the backup. The backup failed when I tried doing it in the new PC.

Anyways, after hearing this sound, I disconnected both the power cable and
ribbon from the hard drive, reconnected and all went fine. But I wondered
whether this was too simple a solution and if in fact the hard drive has a
defect in it.

Any thoughts?

Mark Mandell

Isildur

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kOKvb.9418$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> On a PC I've just recently built that has a multi boot system(Win 98 and
> XP), it wouldn't boot into 98 and I heard what I suspected was the

spinning
> sound of the hard drive. This hard drive I had in my other PC when
> previously I had used it to "ghost" a backup image from the Win 98; I was
> only able to do this in the old PC because that was where I originally
> created the backup. The backup failed when I tried doing it in the new

PC.

> Anyways, after hearing this sound, I disconnected both the power cable and
> ribbon from the hard drive, reconnected and all went fine. But I wondered
> whether this was too simple a solution and if in fact the hard drive has a
> defect in it.

I have a similar problem with a maxtor, it'd make a 'mechanical click' noise
now and then, and halt/stall, though this happened with another maxtor which
is fine in another pc, which is weird. I'm at a loss as this one is brand
new, i've put a western digital in, and that thus far runs without a flaw.
I did the same as you at first, and unplugging would resolve it for a time,
then it'd re appear

Trent©

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:30:59 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a similar problem with a maxtor, it'd make a 'mechanical click' noise
>now and then, and halt/stall, though this happened with another maxtor which
>is fine in another pc, which is weird. I'm at a loss as this one is brand
>new, i've put a western digital in, and that thus far runs without a flaw.
>I did the same as you at first, and unplugging would resolve it for a time,
>then it'd re appear

You may have a bad cable...either power or data.

Try plugging a different power lead into the hard drive.

Have a nice week...

Trent