Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Disappearing hard drive

Disappearing hard drive

Carl Henderson

Hi. My second hard drive keeps vanishing. Any ideas what can be causing
this. It will show up once every 3-4 boots and stay for a few then vanish
for another 3-4.

Thor

A rip in the fabric of time and space?

Check the cables.

"Carl Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpnn43$b4j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. My second hard drive keeps vanishing. Any ideas what can be causing
> this. It will show up once every 3-4 boots and stay for a few then vanish
> for another 3-4.

Joe

Sorry Thor,

I wouldn't normally email someone who is not on my address book. But
you did give me some great help about Tweak UI sometime ago. If you will,
please help me again? I once again downloaded windows latest updates
and once again I can't get rid of the shortcut arrows in my windows 98se.
You have given me the steps to go threw and get the file shell32.dll
off of my windows 98se cd. I've tried and tried to replace the file on my
hard drive but I keep getting a window that pops up and say's windows
is using the file and it can't be replaced.

Thanks once again. And please forgive me for emailing you at this
address.
Joe

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
A rip in the fabric of time and space?

Check the cables.

"Carl Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpnn43$b4j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. My second hard drive keeps vanishing. Any ideas what can be causing
> this. It will show up once every 3-4 boots and stay for a few then vanish
> for another 3-4.

Thor

You need to use SFC. Go to "start" then "run", and type "SFC" and click OK.
Then choose to extract a file. Type in Shell32.dll, and point it to the
Win98 folder on the CD for the source, and it should know where the
destination is automatically. It will probably ask you about backing up the
file. Take the defaults. Once it's done, reboot.

Sorry Thor,

I wouldn't normally email someone who is not on my address book. But
you did give me some great help about Tweak UI sometime ago. If you will,
please help me again? I once again downloaded windows latest updates
and once again I can't get rid of the shortcut arrows in my windows 98se.
You have given me the steps to go threw and get the file shell32.dll
off of my windows 98se cd. I've tried and tried to replace the file on my
hard drive but I keep getting a window that pops up and say's windows
is using the file and it can't be replaced.

Thanks once again. And please forgive me for emailing you at this
address.
Joe

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
A rip in the fabric of time and space?

Check the cables.

"Carl Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpnn43$b4j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. My second hard drive keeps vanishing. Any ideas what can be causing
> this. It will show up once every 3-4 boots and stay for a few then vanish
> for another 3-4.

Joe

Thanks Thor, you are one great and giving person. The world needs more of you.