Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to test a network

How to test a network

MBell72398

What do you guys use to test your networks out (if there is such a tool)?
I have been working witha customer for quite some time using PPPoE ADSL from
Alltel in Ga. ABout 3 days a day, they loose internet and the only way to
restore is to reboot router and modem. I have replaced router and modem,
changed the telco line card, pair from office to customer, have tested pair for
any trouble (bridge taps, load coils, any grounds, shorts, high resistance
opens, etc) (This is when I was still working for the local telco) and still
have the same problem. I was using a Linksys, then changed to DLink router. The
customer has around 15 pc's on this network. They have bee bumped up to a tier
2 (256K upstream, 1.5M downstream). I have the pc's set to obtain IP and DNS
automatically. I have checked with other customers in the area with the same or
more number of pc's and they seem to be OK.
Alltel suggested to me downloading a tool that would log errors in case one of
the pc's or nics were the culprit. Is there such a tool? If so, what do you
use?
Thanks, Mike
Please remove nospam to email me
Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
Rincon, GA.31326

Wizard

I see this alot and about half of you problems will go away if you put
the modem and router on an Uninteruptable power supply (UPS). The
remainder seems to be shitty lines.