Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Strange brown stuff on motherboard

Strange brown stuff on motherboard

Lurk

You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300 degrees
Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and had
a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't know
what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and it
looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
board and buy a new one.

I hope this makes sense.

-
Lurk

NoOne

300 C = 572 F
Something burned up
"Lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpjcjo$e0r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
> explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
> acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300

degrees
> Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and

had
> a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't

know
> what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
> over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and

it
> looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
> this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
> board and buy a new one.
>
> I hope this makes sense.
>
> -
> Lurk

derek / nul

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:44:25 +0000 (UTC), "Lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
>explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
>acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300 degrees
>Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and had
>a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't know
>what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
>over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and it
>looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
>this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
>board and buy a new one.

There were a batch of faulty capacitors user by a number of m/b manufacturers.
If you can find someone interested in replacing the faulty capacitors, then you
can get it fixed.
If not, it looks like a new m/b.

Derek

Thor

What you likely have are defective capacitors (the little battery-shaped
things) that have leaked. Many brands of motherboards had a problem in
recent years with a few brands of faulty taiwanese capacitors. They burst
and leak. Often, the leaked electrolyte fluid will eat into the board,
ruining it. The usual fix is to replace the board. I have repaired several,
so it can be done, but you need good soldering skills, and a knowledge of
component-level repair, and a board that hasn't sustained additional
component damage as a result of the capacitor failure. The parts themselves
are relatively inexpensive, but your board isn't worth much anyway, given
it's age, and it sounds like there is a good chance you may still have
problems even if the caps are replaced. In this case, I'd scrap the board.

"Lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpjcjo$e0r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
> explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
> acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300

degrees
> Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and

had
> a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't

know
> what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
> over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and

it
> looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
> this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
> board and buy a new one.
>
> I hope this makes sense.
>
> -
> Lurk

Kenny

These duff capacitors are starting to turn up now in cheaper DVD players,
brands like Bush, Roadstar, Alba etc. They cause a lot of collateral damage
in the PSU and usually leave it beyond repair, usually just out of warranty!

--

Kenny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What you likely have are defective capacitors (the little battery-shaped
> things) that have leaked. Many brands of motherboards had a problem in
> recent years with a few brands of faulty taiwanese capacitors. They burst
> and leak. Often, the leaked electrolyte fluid will eat into the board,
> ruining it. The usual fix is to replace the board. I have repaired

several,
> so it can be done, but you need good soldering skills, and a knowledge of
> component-level repair, and a board that hasn't sustained additional
> component damage as a result of the capacitor failure. The parts

themselves
> are relatively inexpensive, but your board isn't worth much anyway, given
> it's age, and it sounds like there is a good chance you may still have
> problems even if the caps are replaced. In this case, I'd scrap the board.
>

> ..
> "Lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpjcjo$e0r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
> > explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
> > acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300

> degrees
> > Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and

> had
> > a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't

> know
> > what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
> > over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and

> it
> > looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what

is
> > this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap

the
> > board and buy a new one.
> >
> > I hope this makes sense.
> >
> > -
> > Lurk

caveat lector - reader beware

>From: derek / nul http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: alt.computer
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:08:03 +1100

>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:44:25 +0000 (UTC), "Lurk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
>>explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
>>acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300 degrees
>>Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and had
>>a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't know
>>what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
>>over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and it
>>looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
>>this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
>>board and buy a new one.

>There were a batch of faulty capacitors user by a number of m/b
>manufacturers.
>If you can find someone interested in replacing the faulty capacitors, then
>you
>can get it fixed.
>If not, it looks like a new m/b.
>
>Derek

I doubt it would be cost-effective to pay someone to repair a mobo, when you
factor, in labor and parts, not to mention waiting time. Quicker, cheaper to
buy a new mobo.

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

DeMoN LaG

(E-Mail Removed)pAmNot ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I doubt it would be cost-effective to pay someone to repair a mobo,
> when you factor, in labor and parts, not to mention waiting time.
> Quicker, cheaper to buy a new mobo.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. If someone said "Hey,
I'll fix your blown caps on your motherboard for $30" and it was a $150
motherboard, you'd take the offer too

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Fred

Yep. Bad caps.
http://www.badcaps.com/
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=faq

Lurk wrote:
> You are going to have to bare with me on this one, it's a little hard to
> explain. My friend has a motherboard (Jetway 333). Her computer has been
> acting really wierd lately. The CPU temperature was detected at 300

degrees
> Celcius and the vcore was exessively high. I opened up the computer and

had
> a look and I found 7 battery shaped things on the motherboard (I don't

know
> what they are). These battery shaped things had a brown powder stuff all
> over them which I thought was unusual. I scraped the brown stuff off and

it
> looked a bit like rust, except it was powder. Is this normal, and what is
> this brown stuff? I'm wondering whether she needs to completely scrap the
> board and buy a new one.
>
> I hope this makes sense.
>
> -
> Lurk

Jerry G.

This sounds like some of the capacitors failed. An experienced tech can
replace these for you. The cost of the smaller caps are only up to a few
dollars each. The labour to change a dozen caps or so would be about an
hour or so to do the job. Any good TV service shop would have the proper
soldering tools and someone with the skills to identify the caps from their
labelling, and change them for you. Naturally they would not be able to
guarantee the mother board, but I would gamble on it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

[...]

JustJoe

Ok Demon I.. I have agreed with you in the past and Caveat has certainly
posted some replies that deserved the harsh replies he got from them but in
this case I can't say he is wrong because he is not. I doubt seriously you
could find a repair shop willing to do this repair for $30 if fact I doubt
many would even be willing to attempt the repair for $50 because until they
replace the obvious blown capacitors there is no way they can be sure that
there was not other collateral damage done to the board when the capacitors
blew. This is a catch 22 situation if there ever was one. A repair shop
would be a fool to say for $50 dollars I will replace these capacitor and
guarantee to return to you your board in perfect working order. A customer
would be a fool to say I will pay you $50 to replace these capacitors and
accept the board in what ever condition it is in after that regardless.
In this case Caveat is right. This is a low end board that could be
replaced with a comparable one for $50-$75. My opinion is that the money
would be better spent buying a new one with a warranty.
Sorry Demon but Caveat wins this this one. I will say though in your
hypothetical situation if I had a board that would cost $150 to replace and
a shop was willing to guarantee to fix it for $30 and I owe nothing if they
do not fix it, that yes I would take that offer.

Joe