Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wireless Won't Work With Dial Up

Wireless Won't Work With Dial Up

NoOne

2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with a dial
up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side works.
We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the wireless for
using the laptops outside or in another room.
We need the dial ups for on the road.
Any ideas?

DeMoN LaG

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YZ9vb.60570$Dw6.327542@attbi_s02:

> 2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
> Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with a
> dial up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side works.
> We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the wireless
> for using the laptops outside or in another room.
> We need the dial ups for on the road.
> Any ideas?

What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless cards no
longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that they connect
normally but IE and others can't access the local network or the internet?
If the latter, go to Internet Options in the control panel and set the
connection up as a LAN connection /after/ installing the dialup connection.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

NoOne

I have it set to automatically detect settings.
What I mean by not working is it nevers connects to the internet.
I get "Cannot find server or dns error".
If I hook up to the wired LAN, it works. If I un-install the dial up, the
wireless works.

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YZ9vb.60570$Dw6.327542@attbi_s02:
>
> > 2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
> > Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with a
> > dial up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side works.
> > We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the wireless
> > for using the laptops outside or in another room.
> > We need the dial ups for on the road.
> > Any ideas?
> >

> What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless cards no
> longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that they connect
> normally but IE and others can't access the local network or the internet?
> If the latter, go to Internet Options in the control panel and set the
> connection up as a LAN connection /after/ installing the dialup

connection.

> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

NoOne

Sorry, should have added that it sees the WAP (router in this case) and I
have good signal strength.
"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YZ9vb.60570$Dw6.327542@attbi_s02:
>
> > 2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
> > Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with a
> > dial up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side works.
> > We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the wireless
> > for using the laptops outside or in another room.
> > We need the dial ups for on the road.
> > Any ideas?
> >

> What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless cards no
> longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that they connect
> normally but IE and others can't access the local network or the internet?
> If the latter, go to Internet Options in the control panel and set the
> connection up as a LAN connection /after/ installing the dialup

connection.

> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer

NoOne wrote:
> Sorry, should have added that it sees the WAP (router in this case)
> and I have good signal strength.
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>>> 2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
>>> Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with
>>> a dial up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side
>>> works. We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the
>>> wireless for using the laptops outside or in another room.
>>> We need the dial ups for on the road.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless
>> cards no longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that
>> they connect normally but IE and others can't access the local
>> network or the internet? If the latter, go to Internet Options in
>> the control panel and set the connection up as a LAN connection
>> /after/ installing the dialup connection.
>>
>> --
>> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
>> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
>> website: under construction
>> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
>> email/IM for rates/services

Have you tried unchecking automatically detect settings?

--
Night_Seer

Duane Arnold

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:gxavb.260125$Fm2.275635@attbi_s04:

> Sorry, should have added that it sees the WAP (router in this case)
> and I have good signal strength.
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>> > 2 laptops, both with XP Pro.
>> > Both have wireless cards. Neither one will connect wirelessly with
>> > a dial up installed. If I delete the dial up, the wireless side
>> > works. We normally connect to a cable modem via a LAN. We want the
>> > wireless for using the laptops outside or in another room.
>> > We need the dial ups for on the road.
>> > Any ideas?
>> >

>> What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless cards
>> no longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that they
>> connect normally but IE and others can't access the local network or
>> the internet? If the latter, go to Internet Options in the control
>> panel and set the connection up as a LAN connection /after/
>> installing the dialup

> connection.
>>
>> --
>> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
>> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
>> website: under construction
>> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
>> email/IM for rates/services

Maybe, your best bet is to disable that Wireless Zero Configuration
Service on the XP O/S. I found that to be nothing but trouble on XP. And
use the Device Manager to install the manufacture's driver and configure
the wireless card through the Device Manager.

The other thing you can do is disbale one or the other Local Area
Connections and only have one active at a time.

Duane

NoOne

news:Xns9439BA6996283darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:gxavb.260125$Fm2.275635@attbi_s04:
>
> > Sorry, should have added that it sees the WAP (router in this case)
> > and I have good signal strength.
> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> >> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> >> What do you mean doesn't work? Doesn't work as in the wireless cards
> >> no longer find and associate to a WAP? Or do you mean that they
> >> connect normally but IE and others can't access the local network or
> >> the internet? If the latter, go to Internet Options in the control
> >> panel and set the connection up as a LAN connection /after/
> >> installing the dialup

> > connection.
> >>
> >> --
> >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> >> website: under construction
> >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> >> email/IM for rates/services

> Maybe, your best bet is to disable that Wireless Zero Configuration
> Service on the XP O/S. I found that to be nothing but trouble on XP. And
> use the Device Manager to install the manufacture's driver and configure
> the wireless card through the Device Manager.
>
> The other thing you can do is disbale one or the other Local Area
> Connections and only have one active at a time.
>
> Duane

I tried un checking "Automatically Detect Settings", there was no change.
How do I disable Wireless Zero Configuration
Service?

Duane Arnold

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:msqvb.204179$ao4.722730@attbi_s51:

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9439BA6996283darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
>> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:gxavb.260125$Fm2.275635

@attbi_s04:

>> > Sorry, should have added that it sees the WAP (router in this case)
>> > and I have good signal strength.
>> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

with

the

cards

or
>> > connection.

>> Maybe, your best bet is to disable that Wireless Zero Configuration
>> Service on the XP O/S. I found that to be nothing but trouble on XP.

And
>> use the Device Manager to install the manufacture's driver and

configure
>> the wireless card through the Device Manager.
>>
>> The other thing you can do is disbale one or the other Local Area
>> Connections and only have one active at a time.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> I tried un checking "Automatically Detect Settings", there was no

change.
> How do I disable Wireless Zero Configuration
> Service?

To get to Services, you goto Control Panel and select Classic View and
select Administrative Tools/Services.

Duane