Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DDR333 (CL=2) vs DDR400 (CL=3) and other questions from a n00b

DDR333 (CL=2) vs DDR400 (CL=3) and other questions from a n00b

Jesse

I want to buy some parts for an existing computer and a new one that I
want to make or atleast customize. My experience with computers is
basic; I haven't touched overclocking or programming yet.
I have a few questions that the more experienced ppl will probably
know.

First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

-I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
(the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
away with a fan mounted in the case

-What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

-Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?

-Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
performs at the CL of 3)
Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
at 266)

Thank you for any and all help.

And now for something completely different-Does SuSE LInux version 9.0
Personal have a built in partitioner?

derek / nul

On 19 Nov 2003 17:37:46 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jesse) wrote:

>I want to buy some parts for an existing computer and a new one that I
>want to make or atleast customize. My experience with computers is
>basic; I haven't touched overclocking or programming yet.
>I have a few questions that the more experienced ppl will probably
>know.
>
>First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
>1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
>megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

The 333 CL2 would be faster.

>-I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
>(the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
>away with a fan mounted in the case

You have to be kidding, a heatsink and fan is ***very*** necessary, buy a GOOD
one.

>-What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
>audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
>chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

I like GigaByte.

>-Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
>retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?
>
>-Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
>installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
>performs at the CL of 3)
>Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
>at 266)

of course

>And now for something completely different-Does SuSE LInux version 9.0
>Personal have a built in partitioner?

Yes

DeMoN LaG

(E-Mail Removed) (Jesse) wrote in news:fadee8c5.0311191737.2c4f1416
@posting.google.com:

> First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
> 1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
> megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

Depends. The former would probably have a better access time but lower
throughput

> -I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
> (the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
> away with a fan mounted in the case

Chip's cooling needs have evolved since the Pentium 2 era. Any CPU made
in the past 5 years or so (except the via C3) requires a heatsink and
fan. No heatsink means the chip will overheat (and possibly destroy
itself) in under 30 seconds. No fan means it will slowly build up heat
until it crashes, possibly causing permanent damage

> -What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
> audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
> chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

The best onboard audio by far is the nVidia SoundStorm enabled
motherboards. 6 channel output, dolby 5.1 support, and sounds just as
good as sound cards costing as much as the entire motherboard does.

I highly recommend the Asus A7N8X-Deluxe right now, it's a fantastic
board with onboard audio, dual onboard ethernet, firewire, serial ATA,
Dual DDR memory, and has no integrated video (one 4x/8x AGP slot)

> -Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
> retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?

No manual for certain, sometimes no CD with drives, usually no cables or
other "extras". Like, buy a retail motherboard and you'll usually get at
least 1 IDE cable and 1 floppy cable, buy an OEM one and you will
probably not get cables at all.

> -Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
> installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
> performs at the CL of 3)
> Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
> at 266)

The RAM runs at whatever speed the motherboard tells it to. DDR266
(PC2100) is only rated for 266 mhz speeds. It will run at 533 mhz if the
motherboard tells it to, it will just have errors out the wazoo and
probably won't even let the machine POST.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Kenny

I totally agree re: Asus A7N8X, I'm using one at present. Only slight
niggle was using 5.1 speakers blocks the mic. socket which I use for karaoke
so I added a Creative 5.1 card.

--

Kenny