Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HELP big smudge on monitor

HELP big smudge on monitor

caveat lector - reader beware

>From: "Kenny" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: alt.computer

>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:54:05 -0000

>Taken from:
>
>http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa030903a.htm
>

>Can I use any type of cleaning solution on my LCD screen?
>No, using alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners repeatedly may cause permanent
>damage to the LCD. Over time using these types of cleaners could cause the
>surface of the screen to yellow. It can also make the screen brittle and
>eventually cause cracking on the screen surface.
>
>NOTICE: The following cleaners are unacceptable:
>. Acetone
>. Ethyl alcohol
>. Ethyl acid
>. Ammonia
>. Methyl chloride
>
>What types of cleaners are acceptable?
>. Water
>. Vinegar (mixed with water)
>. Isopropyl Alcohol
>. Petroleum Benzene
>
>What are some of the basic supplies needed to clean an LCD screen?
>. A soft cotton cloth. When cleaning the LCD screen it is important to use a
>soft cotton cloth, rather than an old rag. Some materials, such as paper
>towels, could cause scratches and damage the LCD screen.
>. Solution of water and isopropyl alcohol. This solution can be used along
>with the soft cotton cloth.
>. Computer wipes. Only use these if they specifically state on the package
>they are designed for LCD laptop screens. Computer wipes can come in handy
>for fast clean-ups or when you want to avoid mixing up a cleaning solution
>yourself.
>
>How do I clean the LCD surface properly?
>. Do not spray any liquids on the LCD screen directly, and do not use paper
>towels, this can cause the LCD screen to become scratched.
>. Always apply the solution to your cloth first, not directly to the parts
>you are cleaning. You want to avoid dripping the solution directly into your
>computer or laptop.
>. Stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top
>of the display to the bottom.

I'll add hydrogen peroxide, since it works on biologics, finger oils, ear wax
and blood. A 2:1 mix of hydrogen peroxide and Isopropyl Alcohol, works fine on
monitors, eyeglasses, keyboards, and does not damage the plastic. Apply with a
dampened cotton cloth (cut from old tee shirt), or cotton ball or cotton swap
(Q-tip) as appropriate. A few drops on a cotton swap and you can clean your
ears. A few drops on a minor cut (paper cuts, etc.) and you reduce scars. Apply
to cuticles before a manicure/pedicure and prevent infections.

My two cents.

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

MrB

We have flat panel touch screens from Elo. How do they differ from others in
terms of being able to touch them and poke them, etc?

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bph7n6$pf1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should only use a very soft tissue such as Kleenex. Moisten it with a
> bit of water, and very gently clean the screen.
>
> Never clean the screen with strong cleaners including alcohol, or Windex.
> Use water only. If the screen ever becomes greasy, use a bit of
> dish-washing soap diluted in water. Then clean the solution off with a
> dampened Kleenex.
>
> Never press or rub your fingers on the screen. This can leave permanent
> damage on the screen. Rubbing the screen with the fingers will cause

damage