Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HELP big smudge on monitor

HELP big smudge on monitor

Anthony

Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
(sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
was brand new yesterday.

AOL.com

>Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
>sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
>(sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
>I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
>was brand new yesterday.

Did you try windex?

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On 19 Nov 2003 22:40:59 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)otrela (AOL.com) wrote:

>>Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
>>sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
>>(sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
>>I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
>>was brand new yesterday.

>Did you try windex?

BAD idea! Windex should never be used on plastic!

BB

Kenny

Taken from:

http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa030903a.htm

Can I use any type of cleaning solution on my LCD screen?
No, using alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners repeatedly may cause permanent
damage to the LCD. Over time using these types of cleaners could cause the
surface of the screen to yellow. It can also make the screen brittle and
eventually cause cracking on the screen surface.

NOTICE: The following cleaners are unacceptable:
.. Acetone
.. Ethyl alcohol
.. Ethyl acid
.. Ammonia
.. Methyl chloride

What types of cleaners are acceptable?
.. Water
.. Vinegar (mixed with water)
.. Isopropyl Alcohol
.. Petroleum Benzene

What are some of the basic supplies needed to clean an LCD screen?
.. A soft cotton cloth. When cleaning the LCD screen it is important to use a
soft cotton cloth, rather than an old rag. Some materials, such as paper
towels, could cause scratches and damage the LCD screen.
.. Solution of water and isopropyl alcohol. This solution can be used along
with the soft cotton cloth.
.. Computer wipes. Only use these if they specifically state on the package
they are designed for LCD laptop screens. Computer wipes can come in handy
for fast clean-ups or when you want to avoid mixing up a cleaning solution
yourself.

How do I clean the LCD surface properly?
.. Do not spray any liquids on the LCD screen directly, and do not use paper
towels, this can cause the LCD screen to become scratched.
.. Always apply the solution to your cloth first, not directly to the parts
you are cleaning. You want to avoid dripping the solution directly into your
computer or laptop.
.. Stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top
of the display to the bottom.

--

Kenny

<BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 19 Nov 2003 22:40:59 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)otrela (AOL.com) wrote:
>

> >>Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
> >>sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it

off
> >>(sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
> >>I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as

it
> >>was brand new yesterday.

> >Did you try windex?

> BAD idea! Windex should never be used on plastic!
>
> BB

philo

"Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpgr5d$b2d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
> sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
> (sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
> I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
> was brand new yesterday.

have a look here:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000666.html

Calvin Crumrine

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2003 22:40:59 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)otrela (AOL.com) wrote:
>

>>>Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
>>>sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
>>>(sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
>>>I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
>>>was brand new yesterday.

>>Did you try windex?

> BAD idea! Windex should never be used on plastic!
>
> BB

I believe there is a version that can-not that I'm recommending its use
on an LCD monitor, but I seem to remember seeing one that was advertised
as 'safe for plastic'. I'm not really into household cleaning so I don't
remember the specifics.

Thor

soft damp cloth. Should be all that's needed.

Roy@home.net

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:28:02 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>soft damp cloth. Should be all that's needed.
>

>"Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bpgr5d$b2d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
>> sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off
>> (sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
>> I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
>> was brand new yesterday.

I've had good results from a damp lens cloth made for cameras and
binocs.

Somebody here recently predicted that, in 3 years, CRTs will no longer
be available. "Hackers" unite!!

Roy - Carpe Noctem

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:26:21 -0900, Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

>>>Did you try windex?

>> BAD idea! Windex should never be used on plastic!
>>
>> BB

>I believe there is a version that can-not that I'm recommending its use
>on an LCD monitor, but I seem to remember seeing one that was advertised
>as 'safe for plastic'. I'm not really into household cleaning so I don't
>remember the specifics.

Here's my short lecture on solvents:

Some of them melt the plastic quicker than others.

An LCD screen is a bad place to experiment or be unsure. Especially when there
are plenty of alternatives specifically designed and recommended for the
purpose.

BB

Jerry G.

You should only use a very soft tissue such as Kleenex. Moisten it with a
bit of water, and very gently clean the screen.

Never clean the screen with strong cleaners including alcohol, or Windex.
Use water only. If the screen ever becomes greasy, use a bit of
dish-washing soap diluted in water. Then clean the solution off with a
dampened Kleenex.

Never press or rub your fingers on the screen. This can leave permanent
damage on the screen. Rubbing the screen with the fingers will cause damage
to the surface of the outer filter screen. Pressing on the screen, which
some users will do to point to things, can do pixel damage that will not
reset itself.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG