Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is my controller fried?

Is my controller fried?

dsr@Florence.edu

I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.

My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
not help.

Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
drive.

Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
the onboard ATA33.

The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
corroded or loose causing the black screen.

I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.

This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?

I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.

The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
improvement.

Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Oldus Fartus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote these words:

| I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
| ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
|
| My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
| found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
| not help.
|
| Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
| drive.
|
| Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
| bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
| new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
| primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
| the onboard ATA33.
|
| The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
| upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
| crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
| corroded or loose causing the black screen.
|
| I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
| the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
| migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
| disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
|
| This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
| but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
|
| I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
| makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
| master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
|
| The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
| select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
| onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
| I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
| improvement.
|
| Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
| ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
|
| Thanks in advance

My money would be on incorrect jumper settings, and I would think it is
probably the Maxtor. I don't have one handy to check out, but from
memory some have two jumpers which have to be changed.

If you only need to temporarily have both operating while you copy over
data, then perhaps it would be just as easy to put them on seperate
controllers.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Night_Seer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
> ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
>
> My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
> found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
> not help.
>
> Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
> drive.
>
> Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
> bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
> new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
> primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
> the onboard ATA33.
>
> The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
> upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
> crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
> corroded or loose causing the black screen.
>
> I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
> the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
> migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
> disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
>
> This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
> but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
>
> I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
> makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
> master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
>
> The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
> select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
> onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
> I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
> improvement.
>
> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
> ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
>
> Thanks in advance

Did you try a different ATA cable?

--
Night_Seer

dsr@Florence.edu

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:29:08 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My money would be on incorrect jumper settings, and I would think it is
>probably the Maxtor. I don't have one handy to check out, but from
>memory some have two jumpers which have to be changed.

I double checked and used the jumper settings that the manual
specifies for master and slave on the single primary IDE port. Also
tried swapping out the cable. Those jumper settings by the way worked
once. The system will just not recognize a slave ofn the primary IDE
port.

>If you only need to temporarily have both operating while you copy over
>data, then perhaps it would be just as easy to put them on seperate
>controllers.

Reset both drives to master and put the Maxtor drive over on the
secondary IDE port with a different cable. Got everything moved over
and am now booting off the faster Maxtor now. Thanks!

I am still concerned about the controller since it has had a couple
intermitant failures any ideas on testing it?

dsr@Florence.edu

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
dot com> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
>> ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
>>
>> My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
>> found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
>> not help.
>>
>> Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
>> drive.
>>
>> Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
>> bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
>> new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
>> primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
>> the onboard ATA33.
>>
>> The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
>> upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
>> crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
>> corroded or loose causing the black screen.
>>
>> I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
>> the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
>> migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
>> disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
>>
>> This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
>> but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
>>
>> I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
>> makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
>> master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
>>
>> The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
>> select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
>> onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
>> I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
>> improvement.
>>
>> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
>> ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

>Did you try a different ATA cable?

Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
controller failure?

Night_Seer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
> dot com> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and
>>> an ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
>>>
>>> My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS
>>> not found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but
>>> that did not help.
>>>
>>> Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the
>>> Phoenix bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I
>>> formated the new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive
>>> works great as a primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25
>>> percent faster with just the onboard ATA33.
>>>
>>> The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed
>>> jumper) upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it
>>> did not crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have
>>> been corroded or loose causing the black screen.
>>>
>>> I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
>>> the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning
>>> on migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure
>>> before disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
>>>
>>> This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
>>> but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
>>>
>>> I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
>>> makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as
>>> primary master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer
>>> detected.
>>>
>>> The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
>>> select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
>>> onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see
>>> if I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with
>>> no improvement.
>>>
>>> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based
>>> ultra ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

>> Did you try a different ATA cable?

> Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
> controller failure?

The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.

--
Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine

Night_Seer wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
>>dot com> wrote:

>>>Did you try a different ATA cable?

>>Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
>>controller failure?

> The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
> happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
> slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.

Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
Until I changed the setting.

There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
anything's been added in that position.

dsr@Florence.edu

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:42:51 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Night_Seer wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
>>>controller failure?

>> The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
>> happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
>> slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.
>>

>Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
>where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
>to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
>Until I changed the setting.
>
>There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
>aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
>consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
>anything's been added in that position.

There does not seem to be a manual setting for recognition other than
setting the controller to disable the controller, monitor both chanels
or just monitor the primary channel. I have the setting toggled to
both. "None" is detected and listed for the slave drive, even when
one is properly jumpered and connected. The sudden system crash with
the Seagate drive a week ago left me unacle to detect the seagate
drive for a while as a primary deive so there is something wrong here.

Calvin Crumrine

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:42:51 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Night_Seer wrote:

>>>The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
>>>happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
>>>slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.
>>>

>>Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
>>where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
>>to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
>>Until I changed the setting.
>>
>>There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
>>aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
>>consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
>>anything's been added in that position.

> There does not seem to be a manual setting for recognition other than
> setting the controller to disable the controller, monitor both chanels
> or just monitor the primary channel. I have the setting toggled to
> both. "None" is detected and listed for the slave drive, even when
> one is properly jumpered and connected. The sudden system crash with
> the Seagate drive a week ago left me unacle to detect the seagate
> drive for a while as a primary deive so there is something wrong here.

I think it's likely that the setting None tells the BIOS not to check
for the slave drive vs. that it isn't detecting it. You should be able
to change that to Auto-at least you can in all the BIOS versions that
I've seen. What BIOS do you have? If I have a similar version around
here maybe I can tell you how. Or maybe you'll introduce me to the
version that proves me wrong.

Reading back however, I notice that you're configuring an ATA133 drive
on an ATA33 controller. I think if you replace that controller with an
ATA133 add-in controller (you say that you *can* disable the built-in
controller) then you'll not only bypass these problems but also improve
performance of the new drive.

DeMoN LaG

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
> ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?

If you want the old drive as master and the new as slave, you need to
jumper the maxtor as slave and the seagate as master. What you have done
is jumpered both as master, something that usually makes the machine just
hang.

Also, before running out and wasting money on a new hard drive, you should
have tried reinstalling your operating system, as it sounds as though the
OS was just corrupted (probably just the boot files missing)

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)