Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > brand new hard drives

brand new hard drives

Isildur

Are you meant to low level format when you get one? ( i only formatted with
the xp install cd)
I ask as maxtor suggest a low level format may stop my 'noise' problem

Oldus Fartus

Isildur wrote:
> Are you meant to low level format when you get one? ( i only formatted with
> the xp install cd)
> I ask as maxtor suggest a low level format may stop my 'noise' problem

No. You should not need to zero-fill a new drive.

(They were referring to "zero-fill" not low level format, which normally
would only be done by the factory.)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus