Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What is MD5 Hash?

What is MD5 Hash?

Kenny

I know it's something added to a file when it's created and have found a few
definitions using Google but I still don't understand it! Is it a form of
error detection/correction and why is it used? Can someone explain it in
layman's terms please?

--

Kenny

sno

OK...will try....keeping it simple.....

You are right...it is a type of error
correction....when you want a file to
get to the receiver EXACTLY like the
original file you can use a hash....

As info goes over the internet it goes from
computer to computer...often many times before
it gets to you....the modems have error
correction....but they are not 100 percent
accurate....each time the possible error
percentage goes up....it is accumalative
so every so many characters the possiblity
of error can be relatively high....

A hash is developed by applying a mathematical
formula to a file....the result of this
formula is a "hash"....the hash is
very, very, very individual to each file...
therefore can be used as a final check of accuracy...
the hash for the file is transmitted along
with the file....

The final receiving computer computes the
hash for the file using the same formula...
and checks to see if the hash is the same
as the transmitted one...

It comes in handy when you are transmitting
files such as video files...where even one
character not being right, can effect the
final quality of the video when played....

Hope this helps..and that it is almost accurate...
<grin>.....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Kenny

Thanks for the reply.

--

Kenny

"sno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> OK...will try....keeping it simple.....
>
> You are right...it is a type of error
> correction....when you want a file to
> get to the receiver EXACTLY like the
> original file you can use a hash....
>
> As info goes over the internet it goes from
> computer to computer...often many times before
> it gets to you....the modems have error
> correction....but they are not 100 percent
> accurate....each time the possible error
> percentage goes up....it is accumalative
> so every so many characters the possiblity
> of error can be relatively high....
>
> A hash is developed by applying a mathematical
> formula to a file....the result of this
> formula is a "hash"....the hash is
> very, very, very individual to each file...
> therefore can be used as a final check of accuracy...
> the hash for the file is transmitted along
> with the file....
>
> The final receiving computer computes the
> hash for the file using the same formula...
> and checks to see if the hash is the same
> as the transmitted one...
>
> It comes in handy when you are transmitting
> files such as video files...where even one
> character not being right, can effect the
> final quality of the video when played....
>
> Hope this helps..and that it is almost accurate...
> <grin>.....sno
>
> Kenny wrote:
> >
> > I know it's something added to a file when it's created and have found a

few
> > definitions using Google but I still don't understand it! Is it a form

of
> > error detection/correction and why is it used? Can someone explain it

in
> > layman's terms please?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kenny

> --
> Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it
>
> This tag line is generated by:
>
> SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

davitz38 davitz38 is offline
Junior Member

You can try to hash a string using this md5 online converter stringfunction.com/md5-hash.html
You can get an idea on how a md5 hash looks like
David