Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SATA drives limit

SATA drives limit

Shawn

Hi all, a basic question about SATA harddrives: how many of them can be
hooked up to a typical motherboard supporting SATA? (I know for Parallel
ATA the usual max is 4 drives unless one adds additional interface
cards). Thanks.
Shawn

Thor

It depends on your controller. S-ATA allows just one drive per cable. There
is no master/slave arrangement, and no sharing of cables. So, how many
drives you can connect, depends on how many cable connections your
controller card, or motherboard offers.

"Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, a basic question about SATA harddrives: how many of them can be
> hooked up to a typical motherboard supporting SATA? (I know for Parallel
> ATA the usual max is 4 drives unless one adds additional interface
> cards). Thanks.
> Shawn

Shawn

great, thanks Thor.