Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reset problems

Computer reset problems

Kathryn H

Hi

My new computer has problems with resetting/freezing itself. It seems
to reset itself during anything graphically intensive - but also
resets itself at other times. It will operate in windows (xp)
perfectly fine until I start running programs - even internet explorer
has caused the computer to crash on occassion. In games, such as max
payne 2 and gunmetal, it will routinely reset itself, somewhere
between 30secs to 10mins into the game. It will also reset itself
during dx8 games such as ut2003. It has occassionally just crashed out
of the game into windows xp - twice citing that the vpu fan needed
replacement, but commonly just crashing out of the game in this case.
I can't seem to run the computer for any more than half an hour
without getting a reset of some sort. It has been fine playing mp3's
and installing programs, but has crashed doing this too (although not
as frequently as in a game).

Whilst I am aware this is a new computer and I can take it back to the
store to be fixed, I am curious as to what is causing the problem. I
am assuming it could be the video card - but I am unsure as to whether
a video card can cause an entire system reboot. If it's not the video
card... then what could it possibly be?

My system is:
500W PSU
DFI LanParty Ultra 2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3000+ (barton)
1Gb Legend (dual channel) DDR RAM
Asus 9600XT Video Card
Plenty of fans inside the case too.

I would appreciate any suggestions/help.
Thanks

bmoag

Possible sources of problems:
Video drivers
Defective Memory Chips
Heat
Power supply
If it is under warranty take it in for repairs.

mark mandel

"Kathryn H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> My new computer has problems with resetting/freezing itself. It seems
> to reset itself during anything graphically intensive - but also
> resets itself at other times. It will operate in windows (xp)
> perfectly fine until I start running programs - even internet explorer
> has caused the computer to crash on occassion. In games, such as max
> payne 2 and gunmetal, it will routinely reset itself, somewhere
> between 30secs to 10mins into the game. It will also reset itself
> during dx8 games such as ut2003. It has occassionally just crashed out
> of the game into windows xp - twice citing that the vpu fan needed
> replacement, but commonly just crashing out of the game in this case.
> I can't seem to run the computer for any more than half an hour
> without getting a reset of some sort. It has been fine playing mp3's
> and installing programs, but has crashed doing this too (although not
> as frequently as in a game).
>
> Whilst I am aware this is a new computer and I can take it back to the
> store to be fixed, I am curious as to what is causing the problem. I
> am assuming it could be the video card - but I am unsure as to whether
> a video card can cause an entire system reboot. If it's not the video
> card... then what could it possibly be?
>
> My system is:
> 500W PSU
> DFI LanParty Ultra 2 Motherboard
> AMD Athlon 3000+ (barton)
> 1Gb Legend (dual channel) DDR RAM
> Asus 9600XT Video Card
> Plenty of fans inside the case too.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions/help.
> Thanks

Agree that the video component is suspect. You might visit the manufacturer
website for the card and download drivers from there. If that doesn't work,
then something else connected with the card.

Kathryn H

Turned out to be a faulty ram stick. Its being replaced under warranty. Go figure.