Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reset problems

Computer reset problems

Kathryn H

Hi

I've just bought a new pc and it seems to have some reset problems. It
frequently crashes during games (such as max payne 2 and gunmetal) -
if I am lucky, it drops me out of the game and into windows (xp). If
I'm not so lucky (which is more often the case) the computer resets
itself (no real warning - it just suddenly pauses on the frame then
reboots). It has done it a few times when I am not it a game - after
closing a window - and reset itself 3 times when I was installing
windows xp. The monitor programs that watch the video card have twice
come up with "your fan appears to be working incorrectly and may need
replacement". The monitor has also twice come up with "rate too slow
to display (23hz)" when playing max payne 2 - then the computer has
refreshed itself into windows and vpu recover (an ati utility) tells
me the vpu has been reset and recovered into windows.

Now, this doesn't just happen in dx9 games - it also happens in dx8
games such as ut2003. I'm lead to think that the video card is the
problem because the computer performs absolutely fine when playing
mp3's, installing programs etc - it only seems to reset when there is
something graphically intensive going on (although as noted before it
has reset at other times).

I guess what I am trying to ask is the graphics card most likely the
cause of the resets? Can a graphics card force a system reset like
this? If not, what would be the source of the problem?

My system is:
500W PSU (dual fan)
DFI Lanparty Ultra 2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3000+ (Barton)
1Gb Legend DDR RAM (running dual channel)
Asus 9600XT Video Card
4 Case Fans (2 intake, 2 outtake) - cooling isn't really a problem.

Thanks

Todd Howard

What drivers are you using for the Vid card? The newest ones (Cat 3.9) have
had some issues ....I run the Omega 3.8's on my 9500 Pro with no probs and a
lot of people think the 3.7's are good and stable....
TH
"Kathryn H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I've just bought a new pc and it seems to have some reset problems. It
> frequently crashes during games (such as max payne 2 and gunmetal) -
> if I am lucky, it drops me out of the game and into windows (xp). If
> I'm not so lucky (which is more often the case) the computer resets
> itself (no real warning - it just suddenly pauses on the frame then
> reboots). It has done it a few times when I am not it a game - after
> closing a window - and reset itself 3 times when I was installing
> windows xp. The monitor programs that watch the video card have twice
> come up with "your fan appears to be working incorrectly and may need
> replacement". The monitor has also twice come up with "rate too slow
> to display (23hz)" when playing max payne 2 - then the computer has
> refreshed itself into windows and vpu recover (an ati utility) tells
> me the vpu has been reset and recovered into windows.
>
> Now, this doesn't just happen in dx9 games - it also happens in dx8
> games such as ut2003. I'm lead to think that the video card is the
> problem because the computer performs absolutely fine when playing
> mp3's, installing programs etc - it only seems to reset when there is
> something graphically intensive going on (although as noted before it
> has reset at other times).
>
> I guess what I am trying to ask is the graphics card most likely the
> cause of the resets? Can a graphics card force a system reset like
> this? If not, what would be the source of the problem?
>
> My system is:
> 500W PSU (dual fan)
> DFI Lanparty Ultra 2 Motherboard
> AMD Athlon 3000+ (Barton)
> 1Gb Legend DDR RAM (running dual channel)
> Asus 9600XT Video Card
> 4 Case Fans (2 intake, 2 outtake) - cooling isn't really a problem.
>
> Thanks

Kathryn H

I have tried both the drivers bundled with the card and the ones off
ati.com - both I believe are the 3.9 drivers. I honestly don't think
it is a driver issue as it reset itself 3 times whilst installing
windows before it even gets to the stage where it puts on drivers for
the device.

Todd Howard

Sorry I missed that part.....have you confirmed that the fan on the card is
spinning properly?
TH
"Kathryn H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have tried both the drivers bundled with the card and the ones off
> ati.com - both I believe are the 3.9 drivers. I honestly don't think
> it is a driver issue as it reset itself 3 times whilst installing
> windows before it even gets to the stage where it puts on drivers for
> the device.

Peter Smith

Hi, it may be stating the obvious but do you run an antivirus software
program; i had a similar problem 12 months ago nobody could solve the
problem, i upgraded ny antivirus software dat file and lo and behold 2
viruses were detected, after clearing the virus problem the crash
problem never returned.
Peter D Smith