Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Steps to Run Recovery Console???

Steps to Run Recovery Console???

Jack Barrett

Hi Folks,

I'm back again!
I just tried to change the resolution on a clean install and now I can't get
my monitor to work =0(
I am booting from the XP disc for the recovery console.
I type in the drive I want/then administrator password/then I get
C:\windows?
Now what?
Can someone please tell me the steps to get this going properly.
I need the monitor back so my wife won't kill me!
Thanks Again,

jack - Learning XP Pro Today with your help! =0)

derek / nul

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:54:53 GMT, "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I'm back again!
>I just tried to change the resolution on a clean install and now I can't get
>my monitor to work =0(
>I am booting from the XP disc for the recovery console.
>I type in the drive I want/then administrator password/then I get
>C:\windows?
>Now what?
>Can someone please tell me the steps to get this going properly.
>I need the monitor back so my wife won't kill me!

You don't need the recovery console for that.
Boot to safe mode, F8 when it comes to the first windows screen.

What you are missing is the driver for your video card, do you know what kind of
video card?
You 'should' have got a motherboard cd, it may be on there.

Derek

Duane Arnold

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:19ytb.11759$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm back again!
> I just tried to change the resolution on a clean install and now I
> can't get my monitor to work =0(
> I am booting from the XP disc for the recovery console.
> I type in the drive I want/then administrator password/then I get
> C:\windows?
> Now what?
> Can someone please tell me the steps to get this going properly.
> I need the monitor back so my wife won't kill me!
> Thanks Again,
>
> jack - Learning XP Pro Today with your help! =0)

Then I'll suggest you purchase the Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
Book. It will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

You may want to *harden* the O/S to attacks.

Duane

Jack Barrett

It won't boot up in safe mode =0(
I press F8 then it loads drivers on the screen and seems to stop and stall
for some reason!
I can't even get to change the drivers for the video card!

jack

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19ytb.11759$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm back again!
> I just tried to change the resolution on a clean install and now I can't

get
> my monitor to work =0(
> I am booting from the XP disc for the recovery console.
> I type in the drive I want/then administrator password/then I get
> C:\windows?
> Now what?
> Can someone please tell me the steps to get this going properly.
> I need the monitor back so my wife won't kill me!
> Thanks Again,
>
> jack - Learning XP Pro Today with your help! =0)

Thor

Use the MSKB link below for instructions on invoking system restore from a
safe mode w/command prompt (doesn't require you to boot fully into safe
mode, so it should work). If all else fails, you can run the recovery
console by booting to your windows XP CD, and choose the reovery console
from the startup options given by the boot cd. But, I would instead just
choose the install option, and then pick the repair install option from the
installation choices.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19ytb.11759$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm back again!
> I just tried to change the resolution on a clean install and now I can't

get
> my monitor to work =0(
> I am booting from the XP disc for the recovery console.
> I type in the drive I want/then administrator password/then I get
> C:\windows?
> Now what?
> Can someone please tell me the steps to get this going properly.
> I need the monitor back so my wife won't kill me!
> Thanks Again,
>
> jack - Learning XP Pro Today with your help! =0)

Jack Barrett

Hey Thor - Thanks Again for the insight =0)
I just did a clean install to make sure everything is working the way it
should!

Best,

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com