Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Want a better browser?

Want a better browser?

Night_Seer

Mr. Majestik wrote:
> DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message
>> So I ask one more time, what exactly does not fit your needs as a
>> simple, easy to use browser?
>>

> Ok, I'll bite. (I have no idea why, though You don't want to
> compare it to Avant's, right? Well, that's EXACTLY what I want.
> Simple install. (not......just unzip to the folder of your choice), I
> LOVE the mouse buttons, I love the tabbed windows, (you open them,
> and switch whenever you want), I dont' CARE about the keyboard
> shorts, I can't remember my shoe size most days.....
>
> I like the skin. although any will do. I LIKE the group for
> favorites. It's easy to get organized. Built in Google. Doesn't
> everyone use it? Stop the pops, clears history on closing. What
> else............
>
> The bottom bar shows what's happening. What else............Nothing
> else really. IF Mozilla would just do THAT (above) and not hassle me
> with plug ins, DL's, tinkering, hassles............then it too would
> be fine.
>
> Is this what you mean?

That is exactly what Mozilla does...EXACTLY. Tabbed browsing,
pop-up blocker, mouse buttons. You are describing Mozilla to a tee! I
would not recomend Firebird to you, because in order to get that
functionality you need to use extensions. This was done like that on
purpose, so people get exactly the browser they want. But I would not
recomend it to you.
BUT (big but) Mozilla and firebird are not the same thing, and you
are lumping them together intot he same thing. I would recomend Mozilla
( ithink 1.4 is the latest version) to you, as you are describing it
exactly. If you like setting up your browser with EXACTLY what you want
get FB, if you want it to do everything right from install, get Mozilla.
I personally use Firebird, and while I agree it has some ways to go,
Microsoft is pretty much going to end up copying everything it does,
while FB is on to bigger and better things.

--
Night_Seer

Ardent

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:10:30 -0800, "Mr. Majestik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>like Opera *used* to work.

You said it. So far the best, IMHO, version was 5.12. I have
downloaded and tried every release right up to 7.20 and within hours
went back to 5.12

With a couple of tweaks (Courtesy: Axel) it works great - a few sites
it cannot render I does not matter.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

Oldus Fartus

In news:Xns943619285C323Wobbly@216.168.3.30,
DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote these words:

| So I ask one more time, what exactly does not fit your needs as a
| simple, easy to use browser?

Even though the question was not asked of me, I will repeat what I have
said earlier.

Mozilla does not render some pages correctly. Menu buttons on these
pages are missing, and layouts are screwed. My bank's pages are an
example, but there are others.

The email client is great, but the newsreader does not fit my needs. I
want to have my newsgroups listed in alphabetical order, and not in
order subscribed. I do not want the newsgroup names to be truncated by
default. I want a universal Views which work.

Certainly I can switch between browsers as required, but I should not
have to. Would you keep two telephones - one which received and made
calls to all networks, and one which only worked on 90% of networks and
had to be unplugged and replaced with the first one for certain calls?

I *do* want Mozilla to succeed, and will certainly download and try a
later version because I want to get off the MS bandwagon as far as
possible.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

DeMoN LaG

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bpbvku$1tbg$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

> I *do* want Mozilla to succeed, and will certainly download and try a
> later version because I want to get off the MS bandwagon as far as
> possible.

With respect to your complaint about menus and bank sites not working, it
is not a fault of the Mozilla team. Some people forget that there are
standards in web design, and design pages around proprietary features
(Netscape's old layers tag and IEs document object model), and it is
extremely difficult to be both standard complient and IE complient at the
same time. The problem with designing a page around a certain browser and
it's bugs is sometimes even a newer version of the same browser renders the
page wrong because the bug got fixed/proprietary feature got changed.
Mozilla has a Tech Evangelism category, where they contact web masters and
attempt to help them make their pages standards complient. What bank do
you use?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Oldus Fartus

In news:Xns9436E480EF745Wobbly@216.168.3.30,
DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote these words:

| "Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news:bpbvku$1tbg$1 @otis.netspace.net.au:
|
|| I *do* want Mozilla to succeed, and will certainly download and try a
|| later version because I want to get off the MS bandwagon as far as
|| possible.
|
| With respect to your complaint about menus and bank sites not
| working, it is not a fault of the Mozilla team. Some people forget
| that there are standards in web design, and design pages around
| proprietary features (Netscape's old layers tag and IEs document
| object model), and it is extremely difficult to be both standard
| complient and IE complient at the same time. The problem with
| designing a page around a certain browser and it's bugs is sometimes
| even a newer version of the same browser renders the page wrong
| because the bug got fixed/proprietary feature got changed. Mozilla
| has a Tech Evangelism category, where they contact web masters and
| attempt to help them make their pages standards complient. What bank
| do you use?

Answering your last question first, I use an Australian Credit Union,
but the internet banking, online balance checking, and the like are
provided by a third party called "The System Works", which is used by
most of the Credit Unions and smaller banks in this country.
http://203.58.62.77/home/default.asp has a little bit about them.

Let's get on to the first point though. I do not have a complaint
about Mozilla. I tried several versions, it does not do what I want it
to, so I uninstalled it rather than switch between two browsers to do
what I wish to do. I definately will try it again but for now, thank
you, but no thanks.

As a user I do not care whose fault it is that the pages mentioned, and
some others, do not work properly - I just want them to work. Whether
that is done by a Tech Evangalism group contacting these particular
webmasters and working with them to solve the problem, or whether the
Mozilla team works around it in another way, once again I do not care.
Just make it work!

This certainly can be done. I have a Linux box here I crank up from
time to time, and so far (on the pages I access) I find no such
problems.

Mozilla is a good product - but with a little more work it could be a
*great* product.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus