Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > External drive replacement

External drive replacement

Drifter

I have a LaCie external drive (80Gb) that died. The drive inside is a
Maxtor. There are no apparent switches or controls internally on the
control boards. If I stick a larger (120gb) drive in there will it
still work or is something like this usually "set" to just one drive
size?

Thanks

Drifter

>I have a LaCie external drive (80Gb) that died. The drive inside is a
>Maxtor. There are no apparent switches or controls internally on the
>control boards. If I stick a larger (120gb) drive in there will it
>still work or is something like this usually "set" to just one drive
>size?
>
>Thanks

Darn it, forgot to mention it's a USB drive.

DeMoN LaG

Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Darn it, forgot to mention it's a USB drive.

Almost invariably it doesn't care what size drive you put in it (within
reason, it has to support a drive that large). It isn't like the drive
enclosure is physically tied to the drive inside it and the drive inside it
can't be replaced.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Drifter

>Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Darn it, forgot to mention it's a USB drive.
>>

>Almost invariably it doesn't care what size drive you put in it (within
>reason, it has to support a drive that large). It isn't like the drive
>enclosure is physically tied to the drive inside it and the drive inside it
>can't be replaced.

That's pretty much what I thought but you know how it is, that one
time you're sure is the one time you find the exception to the rule.

thanks

Drifter