Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Winsock Error

Winsock Error

Jon

I repeatedly lose the ability to browse the internet with Internet
Explorer 6 (I have Windows 98 installed). It merely comes up with page
not found no matter which site at try to access. Sometimes if I
restart IE I can access the internet again. On other occasions I have
to reboot my computer

FreeAgent similarly loses the connection. With FreeAgent the following
error message comes up "Error reported by winsock driver. Host name
not found. Error 11001" I have to disconnect and restart FreeAgent or
reboot the computer.

This is not my ISP as I have recently changed them and I had the same
problem before. I presently use broadband.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Duane Arnold

Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> I repeatedly lose the ability to browse the internet with Internet
> Explorer 6 (I have Windows 98 installed). It merely comes up with page
> not found no matter which site at try to access. Sometimes if I
> restart IE I can access the internet again. On other occasions I have
> to reboot my computer
>
> FreeAgent similarly loses the connection. With FreeAgent the following
> error message comes up "Error reported by winsock driver. Host name
> not found. Error 11001" I have to disconnect and restart FreeAgent or
> reboot the computer.
>
> This is not my ISP as I have recently changed them and I had the same
> problem before. I presently use broadband.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jon

You could try rebuilding the TCP/IP Stack (Winsock) on the Win98 machine.
It's out there on Google on how to do it.

Duane

clydeo

You can go here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html
and download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and is
easy to install. Clydeo22

---

Thor

That's also a rather handy tool for a technician to keep around. Thanks for
the link.

"clydeo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CDiub.441$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can go here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html
> and download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and

is
> easy to install. Clydeo22
>

> ---

Duane Arnold

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That's also a rather handy tool for a technician to keep around.
> Thanks for the link.
>

> ..
> "clydeo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CDiub.441$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can go
>> here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html and
>> download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and

> is
>> easy to install. Clydeo22
>>

>> ---

http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_xp.htm

The command in the link has gotten me out of a couple 169.xxx IP(s) being
assigned to TCP/IP.

Duane

Thor

yeah, i was aware of the XP fix, but the WIn9x TCP/IP fixes tend to be
lengthy affairs, so it's very handy to have a little utility to run instead
in many cases.

news:Xns94377513D7AA9darnold92insightbbco@216.148. 227.77...
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > That's also a rather handy tool for a technician to keep around.
> > Thanks for the link.
> >

> > ..
> > "clydeo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:CDiub.441$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You can go
> >> here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html and
> >> download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and

> > is
> >> easy to install. Clydeo22
> >>

> >> ---
> >>

> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_xp.htm
>
> The command in the link has gotten me out of a couple 169.xxx IP(s) being
> assigned to TCP/IP.
>
> Duane

Winsock & Winsock 2 spears list Computer Support 3 10-16-2007 03:28 AM
Winsock Error Douglas Computer Support 3 11-15-2005 07:09 PM
Error--Winsock & Server Errors Wireless Networking 0 07-09-2004 12:52 AM
Winsock Error Darren Gibbard Computer Support 3 12-03-2003 04:00 AM
newbie question - winsock compile error Jay C Programming 2 08-08-2003 06:38 PM

Advertisments