Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > what do I upgrade? (512MB to 1024MB ram makes no diffs)

what do I upgrade? (512MB to 1024MB ram makes no diffs)

Johan Wagener

I am making a lot of dvd movies from my camcorder. The encoding process
(from DV avi to Mpeg) takes a very long time. I would like to know what in
my PC I must upgrade so that this takes less time.

I have a Pentuim 4 - 2GHz (running at 2.4GHz) with 1024MB DDR 333. My
motherboard however only runs the memory at 266MHz. The increase from 512 to
1024MB ram did not seem to make any difference in the encoding speed.

I also have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160GB HD and I don't have any video editing
card.

Justin Olanin

I have sorta the same set up as you and what you should upgrade is the
processer. Upgrading to a Hyperthreading P4 (even at 2.4 like you are
now) would make a differance. Id say go for a 2.4, or higher, and see
what you can overclock.

--
Justin Olanin
Email - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Nicholas Andrade

Justin Olanin wrote:

> I have sorta the same set up as you and what you should upgrade is the
> processer. Upgrading to a Hyperthreading P4 (even at 2.4 like you are
> now) would make a differance. Id say go for a 2.4, or higher, and see
> what you can overclock.

I agree, many video editing programs can take advantage of multiple
threads. Also, if it isn't already, perhaps you should consider looking
into one of those 8MB buffer HDD.

Adios,
~Nick

Calvin Crumrine

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> Justin Olanin wrote:
>
>> I have sorta the same set up as you and what you should upgrade is the
>> processer. Upgrading to a Hyperthreading P4 (even at 2.4 like you are
>> now) would make a differance. Id say go for a 2.4, or higher, and see
>> what you can overclock.
>>

> I agree, many video editing programs can take advantage of multiple
> threads. Also, if it isn't already, perhaps you should consider looking
> into one of those 8MB buffer HDD.
>
> Adios,
> ~Nick

Or a RAID array although I have no experience or definite knowledge of
how well they work for video editing-but they certainly do speed up
database access.

DarkMatter

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:21:58 GMT, Justin Olanin <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>I have sorta the same set up as you and what you should upgrade is the
>processer. Upgrading to a Hyperthreading P4 (even at 2.4 like you are
>now) would make a differance. Id say go for a 2.4, or higher, and see
>what you can overclock.
>
>Johan Wagener wrote:
>> I am making a lot of dvd movies from my camcorder. The encoding process
>> (from DV avi to Mpeg) takes a very long time. I would like to know what in
>> my PC I must upgrade so that this takes less time.
>>
>> I have a Pentuim 4 - 2GHz (running at 2.4GHz) with 1024MB DDR 333. My
>> motherboard however only runs the memory at 266MHz. The increase from 512 to
>> 1024MB ram did not seem to make any difference in the encoding speed.
>>
>> I also have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160GB HD and I don't have any video editing
>> card.

Not nearly as fast as getting a dual CPU MOBO setup. You said
fast.... I give you fast.

Aside from that, you wont see much change. The task you are
performing is nitty gritty number crunching, and even the CPU upgrade
wont help much.

I used to run about 8 seti units a day on one of my machines. No
small task, I might add.

On my dual CPU box, I get nearly twenty a day done. A hot single
cpu machine like yours or the newer stuff these days will do about
ten. So my old dual CPU machine has bested most seti contributors'
asses on crunch time. I still play online games and do any other
machine tasks I wish as well, including burning CDs while they run,
one on each CPU (I run two instances now) with no glitches. You case
differs. You cannot run it twice, once on each CPU and get double
performance like I do. You are running a single task. It will run
faster, but not quite double, as in my case. You must be on
Windows2000 Pro or higher as well in order to have access to the task
management interface. You can turn up their priority that way as
well.

If you are on W2k or higher, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the
task manager while your app is up (tho not crunching). Right click on
your task, and select "Set Priority". This will allow you to turn up
the priority of the task you want to have a few more time slices on.
That will help a bit.

Good luck. If you are pirating... I hope your computer crashes and
burns, and you as well... in your car, resulting in only extreme
injuries to yourself, and no others.

DarkMatter

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:53:07 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Nicholas Andrade wrote:
>> Justin Olanin wrote:
>>
>>> I have sorta the same set up as you and what you should upgrade is the
>>> processer. Upgrading to a Hyperthreading P4 (even at 2.4 like you are
>>> now) would make a differance. Id say go for a 2.4, or higher, and see
>>> what you can overclock.
>>>

>> I agree, many video editing programs can take advantage of multiple
>> threads. Also, if it isn't already, perhaps you should consider looking
>> into one of those 8MB buffer HDD.
>>
>> Adios,
>> ~Nick
>>

>Or a RAID array although I have no experience or definite knowledge of
>how well they work for video editing-but they certainly do speed up
>database access.

The tasks in question here are almost solely CPU intensive. A larger
HD cache would be minimally, if not negligibly faster. As in file
updates, and such. The main TASK is STILL all CPU, ALL the time.
All of the disk reads and writes are fairly negligible on a machine
that fast. They become petty little chores that occur during the main
process.

Your App, however is VERY disk IO intensive. A much different
scenario, though your is also quite CPU intensive, it is mainly bus
and disk intensive.

The video app can work from blocks of data retrieved in chunks and
operated on from RAM.

I would say boot LINUX, and run one of the crunch apps they have.
LINUX is much leaner, and can do the job faster... usually. Windows
seems to like using VM, even though RAM is available.

Boo on you, Billy.

Oldus Fartus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Johan Wagener <pil(nospam)@webmail.co.za> wrote these words:

| I am making a lot of dvd movies from my camcorder. The encoding
| process (from DV avi to Mpeg) takes a very long time. I would like to
| know what in my PC I must upgrade so that this takes less time.
|
| I have a Pentuim 4 - 2GHz (running at 2.4GHz) with 1024MB DDR 333. My
| motherboard however only runs the memory at 266MHz. The increase from
| 512 to 1024MB ram did not seem to make any difference in the encoding
| speed.
|
| I also have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160GB HD and I don't have any video
| editing card.

What does "a very long time" mean Johan? How are you getting the video
into your system?

I do not have a digital camcorder, but I feed my Hi8 in through my
video/capture card and capture as MPEG1 or MPEG2 in real time into Ulead
Video Studio. It is not a terribly sophisticated system, but works for
me!

Further processing takes about another fifteen to twenty percent of
playing time. (My system is 2.53 P:4 with 512 meg RAM.)

What sort of times are you talking about?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Poochie

"Johan Wagener" <pil(nospam)@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am making a lot of dvd movies from my camcorder. The encoding process
> (from DV avi to Mpeg) takes a very long time. I would like to know what in
> my PC I must upgrade so that this takes less time.
>
> I have a Pentuim 4 - 2GHz (running at 2.4GHz) with 1024MB DDR 333. My
> motherboard however only runs the memory at 266MHz. The increase from 512

> 1024MB ram did not seem to make any difference in the encoding speed.
>
> I also have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160GB HD and I don't have any video editing
> card.

Obviously increasing the ram from 512 won't help your encoding speed...
that's just processing power...

Poochie

Home User

Increasing the RAM could increase the speed, because RAM operates at
higher speeds than hard drives. If the encoder entirely used the RAM
instead of the HD, then the encoding process could be greatly speeded
up.

Why dont you do your encoding overnight while you sleep? Just set it up,
go to bed, wake up and enjoy.