Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Pentium Extreme Edition

Pentium Extreme Edition

R King

Anyone know an Australian release date for the Pentium Extreme! Considering
an upgrade
and wondering when prices will drop!! Cheers

DeMoN LaG

"R King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3fb35b87$0$1752$5a62ac22
@freenews.iinet.net.au:

> Considering
> an upgrade
> and wondering when prices will drop!

Not for a long, long time. The P4EE is actually faster in most cases than
the upcoming Intel Prescott, which means when that is released, Intel has
to have a price war with itself. Also, keep in mind, the P4EE is basically
an Intel XEON with a faster FSB. Those chips are expensive because of the
huge amount of cache on them. If you are going to upgrade to this chip,
you should buckle in, you'll be waiting a while.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "R King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3fb35b87$0$1752$5a62ac22 @freenews.iinet.net.au:
>
>> Considering
>> an upgrade
>> and wondering when prices will drop!

> Not for a long, long time. The P4EE is actually faster in most cases
> than the upcoming Intel Prescott, which means when that is released,
> Intel has to have a price war with itself. Also, keep in mind, the
> P4EE is basically an Intel XEON with a faster FSB. Those chips are
> expensive because of the huge amount of cache on them. If you are
> going to upgrade to this chip, you should buckle in, you'll be
> waiting a while.

A Dell equiped with a 3.2 ghz P4 EE is about $1400 dollars more than
a standard 3.2 ghz P4 (Dell gets first dibs on these chips). The 3.4
Ghz P4 EE is coming out before christmas, so it might lower the price of
the 3.2 ghz version, but not by much.

--
Night_Seer

Night_Seer

Night_Seer wrote:
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
>> "R King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:3fb35b87$0$1752$5a62ac22 @freenews.iinet.net.au:
>>
>>> Considering
>>> an upgrade
>>> and wondering when prices will drop!

>> Not for a long, long time. The P4EE is actually faster in most cases
>> than the upcoming Intel Prescott, which means when that is released,
>> Intel has to have a price war with itself. Also, keep in mind, the
>> P4EE is basically an Intel XEON with a faster FSB. Those chips are
>> expensive because of the huge amount of cache on them. If you are
>> going to upgrade to this chip, you should buckle in, you'll be
>> waiting a while.

> A Dell equiped with a 3.2 ghz P4 EE is about $1400 dollars more
> than a standard 3.2 ghz P4 (Dell gets first dibs on these chips).
> The 3.4 Ghz P4 EE is coming out before christmas, so it might lower
> the price of the 3.2 ghz version, but not by much.

sorry my mistake, its actually about $800 dollars

--
Night_Seer