Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > lost memory on c: after reformat & install of Windows XP

lost memory on c: after reformat & install of Windows XP

loneshewolf

Hubby reformatted c: drive and installed Windows XP. He then went to Windows
Updates and tried to install the critical updates and services packs (23
total) but was told that he didn't have enough memory...only 103MB. His c:
drive total memory is 2GB and ONLY has the XP installation on it...where did
the rest of the memory go? BTW, he has several other partitions already, no
new partitions were added and they are all the same size that they were
before. Windows XP won't do him any good if he can't run the updates and
service packs. Any tips/suggestions/ideas/etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

HF

Memory is not a hard drive. Memory is random access and is where programs
are loaded each time your PC is booted. The hard drive is where they are
permanently whether your PC is powered up or not. If too much is loaded into
memory on booting then you will get to be 'short of memory'. Have a read
on www.computerhope.com HF

"loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:418sb.7290$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Hubby reformatted c: drive and installed Windows XP. He then went to

Windows
> Updates and tried to install the critical updates and services packs (23
> total) but was told that he didn't have enough memory...only 103MB. His

c:
> drive total memory is 2GB and ONLY has the XP installation on it...where

did
> the rest of the memory go? BTW, he has several other partitions already,

no
> new partitions were added and they are all the same size that they were
> before. Windows XP won't do him any good if he can't run the updates and
> service packs. Any tips/suggestions/ideas/etc. would be greatly
> appreciated.

loneshewolf

He has 768MB RAM on his computer, I guess I should have been more specific
and said drive space...sorry.

"HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3fb18abe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Memory is not a hard drive. Memory is random access and is where

programs
> are loaded each time your PC is booted. The hard drive is where they are
> permanently whether your PC is powered up or not. If too much is loaded

into
> memory on booting then you will get to be 'short of memory'. Have a read
> on www.computerhope.com HF
>

> "loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:418sb.7290$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Hubby reformatted c: drive and installed Windows XP. He then went to

> Windows
> > Updates and tried to install the critical updates and services packs (23
> > total) but was told that he didn't have enough memory...only 103MB. His

> c:
> > drive total memory is 2GB and ONLY has the XP installation on it...where

> did
> > the rest of the memory go? BTW, he has several other partitions already,

> no
> > new partitions were added and they are all the same size that they were
> > before. Windows XP won't do him any good if he can't run the updates

and
> > service packs. Any tips/suggestions/ideas/etc. would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Thor

The problem is that he is using 2GB partitions. He will need to repartition
the drive to give Windows more space. 2GB partition sizes are really
inadequate. Either use the Windows XP setup program to wipe out some of the
other partitions, and then consolidate the space for the boot partition, or
wipe the entire drive, and put all the space into one FAT32, or NTFS
partition, or use a program like partition magic to consolidate the
partitions without destroying the existing data. Either way, he needs a
partition larger than 2GB.

"loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lMcsb.9652$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> He has 768MB RAM on his computer, I guess I should have been more specific
> and said drive space...sorry.
>
> "HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3fb18abe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Memory is not a hard drive. Memory is random access and is where

> programs
> > are loaded each time your PC is booted. The hard drive is where they

are
> > permanently whether your PC is powered up or not. If too much is loaded

> into
> > memory on booting then you will get to be 'short of memory'. Have a

read
> > on www.computerhope.com HF
> >

> > "loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:418sb.7290$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > > Hubby reformatted c: drive and installed Windows XP. He then went to

> > Windows
> > > Updates and tried to install the critical updates and services packs

(23
> > > total) but was told that he didn't have enough memory...only 103MB.

His
> > c:
> > > drive total memory is 2GB and ONLY has the XP installation on

it...where
> > did
> > > the rest of the memory go? BTW, he has several other partitions

already,
> > no
> > > new partitions were added and they are all the same size that they

were
> > > before. Windows XP won't do him any good if he can't run the updates

> and
> > > service packs. Any tips/suggestions/ideas/etc. would be greatly
> > > appreciated.

loneshewolf

Thanks for the info, I guess it's just hard to believe that one program
would take up that much drive space.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is that he is using 2GB partitions. He will need to

repartition
> the drive to give Windows more space. 2GB partition sizes are really
> inadequate. Either use the Windows XP setup program to wipe out some of

the
> other partitions, and then consolidate the space for the boot partition,

or
> wipe the entire drive, and put all the space into one FAT32, or NTFS
> partition, or use a program like partition magic to consolidate the
> partitions without destroying the existing data. Either way, he needs a
> partition larger than 2GB.
>

> ..
> "loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lMcsb.9652$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > He has 768MB RAM on his computer, I guess I should have been more

specific
> > and said drive space...sorry.
> >
> > "HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:3fb18abe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Memory is not a hard drive. Memory is random access and is where

> > programs
> > > are loaded each time your PC is booted. The hard drive is where they

> are
> > > permanently whether your PC is powered up or not. If too much is

loaded
> > into
> > > memory on booting then you will get to be 'short of memory'. Have a

> read
> > > on www.computerhope.com HF
> > >

> > > "loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:418sb.7290$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > > Windows

> (23

> His
> > > c:

> it...where
> > > did

> already,
> > > no

> were

updates
> > and

DeMoN LaG

"loneshewolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:nDesb.9825$6c3.433
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Thanks for the info, I guess it's just hard to believe that one program
> would take up that much drive space.

If you play any PC games, Unreal Tournament 2003 takes > 3 gigs of space,
and the original (unpatched) install of Final Fantasy XI (the online only
MMORPG game) has a 6 GB installation, plus all the new updates.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Michael-NC

My XP install with all updates has a 1.7Gb footprint. If you set your
swapfile to another partition, you may be able to keep your current setup.
Just setup virtual memory to another partition and it should work. System
requirements for XP are 1.5 GB free disk space.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ng/sysreqs.asp

news:nDesb.9825$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...