Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > swp file size

swp file size

DeMoN LaG

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HVgsb.111661$(E-Mail Removed) .com:

> If you did totally eliminate the swapfile and did not have _Lots_
> of physical ram installed, you most certainly would have problems. By
> lots, I mean more than 512MB.

I ran 98 on a machine with 384 megs of RAM, and with no virtual memory
enabled the machine could not launch Netscape 4, Eudora, or a number of
other common programs, despite having plenty of free RAM and
"ConservativeSwapFile" set

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Ardent

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:12:44 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>I ran 98 on a machine with 384 megs of RAM, and with no virtual memory
>enabled the machine could not launch Netscape 4, Eudora, or a number of
>other common programs, despite having plenty of free RAM and
>"ConservativeSwapFile" set

This machine I am running is a 166 Mhz with 64mb ram.

A tiny utility shows the free ram in the tray. With Eudora, Agent and
IE loaded the free ram is 23 mb. Still the win386.swp files size is 0.
Now I load Zone Alarm also, free ram is down to 17 mb and the swap
file is 12.36mb!

I never had any problem with installing any version of IE and even
Delphi 6.0 and run it too !

Well that is a great relief and shows that the swap file is indeed
used only when most of the ram is used - this also confirms that there
may not be loss in performance since swap file is not totally
eliminated.

I presume that with machines having a lot of memory the swap file will
be 0 even after many program are loaded.

So I am all for conservative swap file usage until I find a material
change in my three years' usage of this setting.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

WIN386.SWP file Chloe Computer Support 5 08-30-2004 07:11 PM
WIN386.SWP Y Korer Computer Support 3 04-10-2004 08:55 PM
WIN386.SWP Y Korer Computer Support 2 04-09-2004 05:39 PM

Advertisments