Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New to graphics cards - a question

Reply
Thread Tools

New to graphics cards - a question

 
 
johnpower@verobeachlaw.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
I never play games on a PC but I capture video. I just purchased a
new Vaio computer and it has an ATI Radeon 9200 video card. This card
has a audio/video in and S-video in jacks on both the front and back.
I must confess that I do not know what these are used for. I thought
maybe I could capture from my VCR by doing an AV out from the VCR and
into to these but nothing happened. I have an Hollywood Bridge I was
using and was hoping I could skip that and use the these connectors
but apparently not.

The computer can apparently capture from a TV because it has a cable
connection. Can I use that to capture fro a VCR?

Anyhow, could someone give me an idea as to what these inputs are used
for.

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:t3qpqvcvvq4ldprsgavfsiebin62mvi157
@4ax.com:

> The computer can apparently capture from a TV because it has a cable
> connection. Can I use that to capture fro a VCR?
>


You need to use the software to first display what is coming in from the
RCA/Svideo ports and then capture it. ATI's Multimedia Center (Which
should have been included) does this.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
I don't see why you couldn't hook up the VCR. If you can capture cable
which uses a coaxial port then you should be able to use the VCR also,
because I am pretty sure they also have a coaxial port. Unless I am
mistaken. Good luck.

-aliasnexus0
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I never play games on a PC but I capture video. I just purchased a
> new Vaio computer and it has an ATI Radeon 9200 video card. This card
> has a audio/video in and S-video in jacks on both the front and back.
> I must confess that I do not know what these are used for. I thought
> maybe I could capture from my VCR by doing an AV out from the VCR and
> into to these but nothing happened. I have an Hollywood Bridge I was
> using and was hoping I could skip that and use the these connectors
> but apparently not.
>
> The computer can apparently capture from a TV because it has a cable
> connection. Can I use that to capture fro a VCR?
>
> Anyhow, could someone give me an idea as to what these inputs are used
> for.
>
> Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
johnpower@verobeachlaw.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 00:01:27 GMT, "James" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I don't see why you couldn't hook up the VCR. If you can capture cable
>which uses a coaxial port then you should be able to use the VCR also,
>because I am pretty sure they also have a coaxial port. Unless I am
>mistaken. Good luck.
>
>-aliasnexus0
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I never play games on a PC but I capture video. I just purchased a
>> new Vaio computer and it has an ATI Radeon 9200 video card. This card
>> has a audio/video in and S-video in jacks on both the front and back.
>> I must confess that I do not know what these are used for. I thought
>> maybe I could capture from my VCR by doing an AV out from the VCR and
>> into to these but nothing happened. I have an Hollywood Bridge I was
>> using and was hoping I could skip that and use the these connectors
>> but apparently not.
>>
>> The computer can apparently capture from a TV because it has a cable
>> connection. Can I use that to capture fro a VCR?
>>
>> Anyhow, could someone give me an idea as to what these inputs are used
>> for.
>>
>> Thanks

>


One would think so. I believe you have to use their Giga Pocket
software. When I get some time I will take a look at it. Meanwhile,
I can capture thru my Hollywood Bridge
 
Reply With Quote
 
johnpower@verobeachlaw.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:48:26 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:t3qpqvcvvq4ldprsgavfsiebin62mvi157
>@4ax.com:
>
>> The computer can apparently capture from a TV because it has a cable
>> connection. Can I use that to capture fro a VCR?
>>

>
>You need to use the software to first display what is coming in from the
>RCA/Svideo ports and then capture it. ATI's Multimedia Center (Which
>should have been included) does this.


I don' think it did , The card was installed and there was no
documentation I found in the box. Its a Sony Vaio by the way. I went
to the ATI web site to see if I could download it but the latest
version is going to ask me for my original CD in order to install.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Talc Ta Matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
There's almost certainly a program included to watch video on that you have
input into the computer.

My old Vaio from like 5 years ago has a TV tuner can capture the input video.
So yours must have something similar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best graphics program to lecture students with graphics tablet Mrs. Chickpea Digital Photography 8 05-26-2008 04:54 AM
newbie question on joining 2 graphics cards tim Computer Support 8 09-06-2007 05:22 AM
Upgrading graphics on a computer with Integrated Graphics sharonf Computer Support 3 03-27-2007 06:21 AM
Gizmodo: NVIDIA Ships 128-Core Graphics Cards for High-End Film Editors Graphics Pros Silverstrand Front Page News 0 03-05-2007 03:32 PM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 Graphics Harvey Gratt Computer Support 3 10-09-2005 02:40 AM



Advertisments