Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SYSTEM RESOURSES LOW

SYSTEM RESOURSES LOW

SL

I have win98 SE. Lately the computer seems to be running slower. I ran my
Norton Anti Virus...no viruses. I run system resourses and when I am not
running any programs the resourses meter keeps going down....slowly. It
starts at about 65% then trickles down to 60-50-40-30....thru the day. Then
a warning pops up saying 90 % of resourses in use, start shutting stuff
down. When i click on the system resourse meter, it is showing 40 - 50 % but
not 90% as the warning says...I know Norton is always running in some
capacity, but I have nothing else running in the task bar or in background
or whatever.... I shut everything i possibly could, but still this is
happening. No I dont have Kazza or any of those music download all the time
programs.
Any advice or solutions??
.... thanks!

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:12:14 -0400, "SL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have win98 SE. Lately the computer seems to be running slower. I ran my
>Norton Anti Virus...no viruses. I run system resourses and when I am not
>running any programs the resourses meter keeps going down....slowly. It
>starts at about 65% then trickles down to 60-50-40-30....thru the day. Then
>a warning pops up saying 90 % of resourses in use, start shutting stuff
>down. When i click on the system resourse meter, it is showing 40 - 50 % but
>not 90% as the warning says...I know Norton is always running in some
>capacity, but I have nothing else running in the task bar or in background
>or whatever.... I shut everything i possibly could, but still this is
>happening. No I dont have Kazza or any of those music download all the time
>programs.
> Any advice or solutions??
>... thanks!

SOMETHING is leaking resources. The perception that the computer is running
slower is a red herring. Low resources do not make a computer run slower. The
computer will run at the same speed until you get below about 10% free, and then
it will freeze up or crash.

What programs or internet aids have you installed in the past couple of months?

BB

SL

Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
Anti Virus.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:05:29 -0400, "SL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
>running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
>Anti Virus.

Disable Norton and see if the problem still exists. 56% is no problem. 10% or
lower is a problem.

BB

Todd Howard

Get a progem called Spybot from www.downloads.com
Run it and I bet it will find a lot of spyware crap on your machine....
TH

wrote:

> >Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System

is
> >running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
> >Anti Virus.
> >

> Disable Norton and see if the problem still exists. 56% is no problem. 10%

or
> lower is a problem.
>
> BB

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:44:23 -0500, "Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Get a progem called Spybot from www.downloads.com
>Run it and I bet it will find a lot of spyware crap on your machine....
>TH

That's a good suggestion for anybody and everybody. Just make sure that you
download the right program. There are several imitators with the word "spybot"
in their name. The one to get is "Spybot Search & Destroy". Make sure to do the
updates before running it for the first time.

BB

><BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:05:29 -0400, "SL" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>wrote:
>>
>> >Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System

>is
>> >running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
>> >Anti Virus.
>> >

>> Disable Norton and see if the problem still exists. 56% is no problem. 10%

>or
>> lower is a problem.
>>
>> BB

SL

I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
system is running better
Currently System 70%
Resources 70%
GDI resources 84%
Thanks!

<BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:44:23 -0500, "Todd Howard"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Get a progem called Spybot from www.downloads.com
> >Run it and I bet it will find a lot of spyware crap on your machine....
> >TH

> That's a good suggestion for anybody and everybody. Just make sure that

you
> download the right program. There are several imitators with the word

"spybot"
> in their name. The one to get is "Spybot Search & Destroy". Make sure to

do the
> updates before running it for the first time.
>
> BB
>
> ><BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

System
> >is

Norton

> >> Disable Norton and see if the problem still exists. 56% is no problem.

10%
> >or
> >> lower is a problem.
> >>
> >> BB

Trent©

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:05 -0400, "SL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
>system is running better
>Currently System 70%
>Resources 70%
>GDI resources 84%
>Thanks!

AdAware is much better...but glad you got the problem solved.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
>running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
>Anti Virus.

These are the only PROGRAMS running...and, actually, these are the
only programs that you can SEE running.

There's a lot of other stuff running that use system resources...your
mouse, your Internet connection, etc.

Its not just programs that use system resources.

Have a nice week...

Trent

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:46:44 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:05 -0400, "SL"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
>>system is running better
>>Currently System 70%
>>Resources 70%
>>GDI resources 84%
>>Thanks!

>AdAware is much better...but glad you got the problem solved.

Specifics, please. What makes AdAware better? The fact that they don't update
their definitions as often, or the fact that they miss so many things that
Spybot Search & Destroy picks up?

I used to use AdAware, but found that if I ran Spybot Search & Destroy after
running AdAware, it would pick up a lot of stuff that AdAware completely missed.

I have heard some people say they "liked" adaware" but not one had EVER claimed
it was even slightly better than Spybot, much less "much better" as you claim.

BB