Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Copying Hard Disc Problems

Copying Hard Disc Problems

Constantine

Hello All.

I wanted to upgrade the main hard disc to a bigger one in my computer, so I
decided to use Drive Image from Powerquest (version 7, I am using Windows XP
Pro). The programme runs, copies the old hard disc to the new (successfully
it claims), yet, when booting Windows from the new drive, it fails. Windows
load up until the login screen. But instead of getting the available
accounts, the turn off button at the bottom and the message "after you login
you can add more users", all I have is the Windows XP logo. Any ideas,
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Friendly, Kostas.

Jerry G.

You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers for
XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from the
folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.

On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are the
files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change that
XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4 to
6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.

On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
run.

Your only other option is to do a full re-install, and re-register the
operating system.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Constantine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodsih$3nm$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello All.

I wanted to upgrade the main hard disc to a bigger one in my computer, so I
decided to use Drive Image from Powerquest (version 7, I am using Windows XP
Pro). The programme runs, copies the old hard disc to the new (successfully
it claims), yet, when booting Windows from the new drive, it fails. Windows
load up until the login screen. But instead of getting the available
accounts, the turn off button at the bottom and the message "after you login
you can add more users", all I have is the Windows XP logo. Any ideas,
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Friendly, Kostas.

Constantine

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodu8u$rii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers

for
> XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
> Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from

the
> folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
>
> On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are

the
> files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
> These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
> On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change

that
> XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4

> 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.
>
> On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
> run.

So, the procedure should be: 1) format the destination disc, 2) image copy
the old to the new 3) copy the WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK files to the appropriate
location. Correct?

Kostas.

Calvin Crumrine

Jerry G. wrote:

> You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers for
> XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
> Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from the
> folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
>
> On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are the
> files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
> These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
> On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change that
> XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4 to
> 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.
>
> On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
> run.
>
> Your only other option is to do a full re-install, and re-register the
> operating system.

Truly curious-if you do a complete image copy (and PM's Drive Image
claims to be 'true disk imaging backup software' although I've heard
that the latest version falls short in practice) then why wouldn't the
WPA files be included in that image copy? And if they are included then
why would you need to restore them afterwards?

Constantine

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodu8u$rii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers

for
> XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
> Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from

the
> folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
>
> On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are

the
> files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
> These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
> On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change

that
> XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4

> 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.

I just checked it and the files you mention are already there. There must
something else going wrong.

Friendly, Kostas.

Skid

I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

Night_Seer

Skid wrote:
> I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
> Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

I hear the Max-Blast software actually lets you make a Ghost image, much
like Norton Ghost. Is this true?

--
Night_Seer

Constantine

"Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g9Aqb.9685$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
> Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

The old disk is an IBM, the new a Toshiba, both on a notebook. Nothing came
with their own utilities. That's why I am using Drive Image.

Friendly, Kostas.

HF

Best way to upgrade your disk is to get the proper software from the
manufacturers website. Drive image is NOT the way to do it. If you have not
yet bought the hard disk ask for the retail kit which will have all the info
and software with
"Constantine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodsih$3nm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All.
>
> I wanted to upgrade the main hard disc to a bigger one in my computer, so

> decided to use Drive Image from Powerquest (version 7, I am using Windows

XP
> Pro). The programme runs, copies the old hard disc to the new

(successfully
> it claims), yet, when booting Windows from the new drive, it fails.

Windows
> load up until the login screen. But instead of getting the available
> accounts, the turn off button at the bottom and the message "after you

login
> you can add more users", all I have is the Windows XP logo. Any ideas,
> suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Friendly, Kostas.

Calvin Crumrine

Some manufacturers, such as Toshiba, don't offer 'proper software' for
copying a drive. If you have such a drive, as the OP does, then you need
to 'roll your own'. Drive Image *has* worked in the past. I've not used
it with XP-is there a specific reason why you claim using DI is incorrect?