Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is this a virus?

Is this a virus?

Sirius

Computer connects to internet OK and then connection gets slower and slower
till nothing is coming in but data continues to go out. At best the
connection is very slow.

Netstat shows 10 to 12 TCP connections (all from different ports and mostly
where the foreign address appears to be the computer itself ) and also 10 to
12 UDP connections mostly to *.* (*.* I don't understand)

There was only one normal connection listed and that was to 193.86.103.11
which I think was valid as I was trying to get an AVG antivirus update.
(Whois suggests this is valid) No other foreign addresses were given in the
list of 22 or so connections, data continued to flow out and yet the AVG
update KB counter had halted and did not move again.

Computer is a 1 years old Dell, Windows XP home, and I think its had the
Dell restore disk used on it. I'm a 100 miles
away now, but I'm hoping I can help my uncle sort it out remotely.

On my own computer netstat shows only a handful of entries, not the 22 or so
I saw on his. Malware is likely as he would not have been updating his anti
virus, but would it still be there after the Dell restore process?

Does this sound like hardware, malware or configuration? I did try
reinstalling the modem.

Jeremy

Sirius wrote:

> Computer connects to internet OK and then connection gets slower and slower
> till nothing is coming in but data continues to go out. At best the
> connection is very slow.
>
> Netstat shows 10 to 12 TCP connections (all from different ports and mostly
> where the foreign address appears to be the computer itself ) and also 10 to
> 12 UDP connections mostly to *.* (*.* I don't understand)

First get him to download free zone alarm and not authorize anything
going out except his email client and browser.

Then install ad-aware or some equivalent anti spyware program and run
it, there are free versions available.

Then install a trojan remover and run it, there are trial versions
available.

Then update the anti-virus to include latest worm definitions and run
it.

That will do to start in an emergency and should take care of most of
the problems.

JJ

Sirius

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sirius wrote:
> >
> > Computer connects to internet OK and then connection gets slower and

slower
> > till nothing is coming in but data continues to go out. At best the
> > connection is very slow.
> >
> > Netstat shows 10 to 12 TCP connections (all from different ports and

mostly
> > where the foreign address appears to be the computer itself ) and also

> > 12 UDP connections mostly to *.* (*.* I don't understand)

> First get him to download free zone alarm and not authorize anything
> going out except his email client and browser.
>
> Then install ad-aware or some equivalent anti spyware program and run
> it, there are free versions available.
>
> Then install a trojan remover and run it, there are trial versions
> available.
>
> Then update the anti-virus to include latest worm definitions and run
> it.

He is a newbie and not able to do any of that. Neither was I as his internet
connection was not working (see OP). I am intending to post him an AVG
update on CD but thought it possible that someone here might recognise the
symptoms. Thanks for your advice.