Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Here is a wierd one.....

Here is a wierd one.....

Todd Howard

Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues are a
little hard to solve.

She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here newspaper
site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries run Spybot.....ran
it...no good....ok, so then we update its database and try again...still
doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little odd, but lets try the newest
Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out. Still
no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the
site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do
it...so I go to the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is
fine...ok. So we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked
and we fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine yesterday,
but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when I
took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has no
firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone Alarm and we
can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas about what to do? She
honestly doesn't know where it came from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't
surfing porn sites, but I could be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I
dont care. I just want it fixed...

ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a couple
of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Todd

bambam

"Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:18Hpb.43674$(E-Mail Removed):

> Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues
> are a little hard to solve.
>
> She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here
> newspaper site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no
> worries run Spybot.....ran it...no good....ok, so then we update
> its database and try again...still doesnt fix the problem....ok
> that is a little odd, but lets try the newest Ad Aware and
> see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out. Still
> no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to
> the site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain"
> links that do it...so I go to the site and click on what she is
> clicking and mine is fine...ok. So we open up options and notice
> her homepage has been hijacked and we fix that....we also delete
> all cookies and temp files....still no good.....I email her the
> link she is trying to click on and it works fine.....now I am
> completely stumped...she said it worked fine yesterday, but today
> it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when I
> took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has
> no firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone
> Alarm and we can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas
> about what to do? She honestly doesn't know where it came from,
> and I am pretty sure she wasn't surfing porn sites, but I could be
> wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I dont care. I just want it
> fixed...
>
> ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there
> was a couple of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no
> good..... I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?

I'm surprised that your browser had been hijacked and SpyBot didn't
pick it up. Here is a really good link that might help in some way-

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

As a short term fix, how about getting your wife to download another
browser until you can repair her current problem.

The non-java version of Opera is only 3.2mb -

http://www.opera.com/download/

My favourite is Mozilla Firebird, only 6mb -

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

--
I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months.
I don't like to interupt her.

Night_Seer

Todd Howard wrote:
> Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues
> are a little hard to solve.
>
> She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here
> newspaper site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries
> run Spybot.....ran it...no good....ok, so then we update its database
> and try again...still doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little
> odd, but lets try the newest Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch
> more stuff and we clear them out. Still no good....by now I am
> getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the site....She goes there
> and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do it...so I go to
> the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is fine...ok. So
> we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked and we
> fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
> good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
> fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine
> yesterday, but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of,
> is that when I took off for school I took the router....so I am
> thinking she has no firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to
> download Zone Alarm and we can go from there.. Does anyone have any
> other ideas about what to do? She honestly doesn't know where it came
> from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't surfing porn sites, but I could
> be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I dont care. I just want it
> fixed...
>
> ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a
> couple of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
> I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks
> Todd

I've never heard of windows messenger do porn pop-ups, but it could be a
possibility. Try turning it off under services. Or go to www.grc.com,
and download "kill the messenger".

--
Night_Seer

Ken Williams

I believe it's the latest virus. Go do a virus scan. I recall it being called
Ghost or something like that. It basically has a list (mostly search engines)
that it redirects to porn sites. Go to www.symantec.com and run the free online
virus scanner for more info.

Ken Williams
(Remove .zz when replying.)

Todd Howard wrote:

> Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues are a
> little hard to solve.
>
> She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here newspaper
> site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries run Spybot.....ran
> it...no good....ok, so then we update its database and try again...still
> doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little odd, but lets try the newest
> Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out. Still
> no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the
> site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do
> it...so I go to the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is
> fine...ok. So we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked
> and we fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
> good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
> fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine yesterday,
> but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when I
> took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has no
> firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone Alarm and we
> can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas about what to do? She
> honestly doesn't know where it came from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't
> surfing porn sites, but I could be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I
> dont care. I just want it fixed...
>
> ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a couple
> of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
> I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks
> Todd

Todd Howard

Thanks Night_Seer, but that was done a long time ago......
TH
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Todd Howard wrote:
> > Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues
> > are a little hard to solve.
> >
> > She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here
> > newspaper site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries
> > run Spybot.....ran it...no good....ok, so then we update its database
> > and try again...still doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little
> > odd, but lets try the newest Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch
> > more stuff and we clear them out. Still no good....by now I am
> > getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the site....She goes there
> > and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do it...so I go to
> > the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is fine...ok. So
> > we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked and we
> > fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
> > good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
> > fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine
> > yesterday, but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of,
> > is that when I took off for school I took the router....so I am
> > thinking she has no firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to
> > download Zone Alarm and we can go from there.. Does anyone have any
> > other ideas about what to do? She honestly doesn't know where it came
> > from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't surfing porn sites, but I could
> > be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I dont care. I just want it
> > fixed...
> >
> > ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a
> > couple of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
> > I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
> > Thanks
> > Todd

> I've never heard of windows messenger do porn pop-ups, but it could be a
> possibility. Try turning it off under services. Or go to www.grc.com,
> and download "kill the messenger".
>
> --
> Night_Seer

Todd Howard

I had a feeling that it might have been something like that, but wasn't
sure....couldnt find it, but I am going to get her to run an online
scanner....funny updated AVG didnt pick it up though...
Todd
"Ken Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I believe it's the latest virus. Go do a virus scan. I recall it being

called
> Ghost or something like that. It basically has a list (mostly search

engines)
> that it redirects to porn sites. Go to www.symantec.com and run the free

online
> virus scanner for more info.
>
> Ken Williams
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove .zz when replying.)
>
> Todd Howard wrote:
>
> > Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues are a
> > little hard to solve.
> >
> > She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here

newspaper
> > site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries run

Spybot.....ran
> > it...no good....ok, so then we update its database and try again...still
> > doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little odd, but lets try the

newest
> > Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out.

Still
> > no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the
> > site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain" links that

do
> > it...so I go to the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is
> > fine...ok. So we open up options and notice her homepage has been

hijacked
> > and we fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
> > good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
> > fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine

yesterday,
> > but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when

> > took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has no
> > firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone Alarm and

we
> > can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas about what to do?

She
> > honestly doesn't know where it came from, and I am pretty sure she

wasn't
> > surfing porn sites, but I could be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol,

> > dont care. I just want it fixed...
> >
> > ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a

couple
> > of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
> > I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
> > Thanks
> > Todd

Todd Howard

Yep she had a trojan...2 actually......AVG missed them though....that
bothers me.....never had a problem with it before....
Thanks for the help guys
TH