Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Reformatting Computer Problems

Re: Reformatting Computer Problems

T.C.

I want to thank all who helped me out.
Everything is working, except there is still no sound.
When I get time I will check out the sound board and see if I can find the
drivers for it.
Thanks for being there for people like me who are learning everyday more about
how computers work.

Ted

Information

The only thing on the desktop case is on the back.
Product Code: SP5AT

System Properties window.
Under General, tab
Computer: Pentium(r) 64.0MB Ram

When starting up computer this is what is displayed.
Startup
AMIBIOS (c) 1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.12 AX1
065536 KB
Adaptec AHA-2940 Bios v1.11
(c) 1994 Adapter, Inc. All Rights Reserved
<<<Press<Ctrl><A>for SCSISelect (TM) Utility!>>>
SCSI ID#0 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveC80h)
SCSI ID#1 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveD81h)
SCSI ID#2 - TEAC CD-Rom CD-532S
BIOS Installed Successfully!

What I did

Formatted both hard drives. ( Both 1GB )
Then I formatted C:
Because both drives were small so I drvspace them. I did this while in DOS.
One is the C: and One is the D:, after drvspace, I now have an H: and I:
I installed windows3.1 and then installed windows95 update from floppies.

Problems

I have no sound and in System Properties, under Device Manager tab I have the
following!

Hard disk controllers
! PC Tech PCI IDE Single or Dual Port Controller
Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller

Mouse
Logitech Serial Mouse
! PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
! Standard PS/2 Port Mouse

Sound, video and game controllers
! MS Windows Sound System Compatible

I removed the ! items and rebooted. Still have the same ! items listed.

Also:
I'm getting the following message:
Error Starting Program
! The C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL file appears to be corrupt.
Reinstall the file, and then try again.
How do I do this?
Do I have to reinstall windows95 again?
I removed MSVCRT20.DLL from C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory and then rebooted.
MSVCRT20.DLL was reinstalled into C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM and with the same problem.
I'm assuming that MSVCRT20.DLL was copied from C:WINDOWS\SYSBACKUP directory.

Questions

I have windows95 and windows98 CD-ROM disks.
Is there a way to have the computer recognize the CD-ROM drive so I don't have
to take time to install windows3.1 and then windows95 from floppies?
Any one who has done this and sometimes has to redo over again knows how time
consuming it is!
After I install windows95 from the floppies, of course the CD-ROM drive ( in
this case E: ) was installed.
I tried to install windows98 full version, but the message that I got was, I
had to install windows98 upgrade.
Which I don't have.
Anyway around this?

The mouse error, I'm not concerned about, because the mouse works OK.
But I would like to have sound.
I tried another sound board. Still the same.
Should I try another sound board?
If the mother board or port is bad is there any software that would verify
this?

I Thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me.
Ted

Trent©

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:18:16 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (T.C. ) wrote:

>I want to thank all who helped me out.
>Everything is working, except there is still no sound.
>When I get time I will check out the sound board and see if I can find the
>drivers for it.
>Thanks for being there for people like me who are learning everyday more about
>how computers work.
>
>Ted

Yer welcome, Ted.

Have a nice week...