Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CAN'T DWNLOAD FROM WINDOWS FOLDER

CAN'T DWNLOAD FROM WINDOWS FOLDER

LEO THOMPSON

Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery that
I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a file
download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the 'open'
option but it will do nothing.
Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a computer
dummy.
TIA for any help anyone can offer.
Leo

LEO THOMPSON

Please excuse the caps in the subject window.
Leo
"LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MKbpb.3005$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
> the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

that
> I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

file
> download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the 'open'
> option but it will do nothing.
> Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
> folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a computer
> dummy.
> TIA for any help anyone can offer.
> Leo

Steve

Are you by chance opening OE in the wrong identity?
Go to File, switch identity

"LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MKbpb.3005$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
> the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

that
> I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

file
> download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the 'open'
> option but it will do nothing.
> Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
> folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a computer
> dummy.
> TIA for any help anyone can offer.
> Leo

---

Michael-NC

Did you try to import them?

"LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MKbpb.3005$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
> the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

that
> I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

file
> download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the 'open'
> option but it will do nothing.
> Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
> folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a computer
> dummy.
> TIA for any help anyone can offer.
> Leo

LEO THOMPSON

Hi, Michael, thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried import from
everywhere in the Windows folders. Message was always that maybe some other
program is running and using the files. Everything else was closed.
I guess the mail is lost forever.
Regards,
Leo

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CAfpb.46899$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Did you try to import them?
>
> "LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MKbpb.3005$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived

at
> > the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

> that
> > I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

> file
> > download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the

'open'
> > option but it will do nothing.
> > Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
> > folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a

computer
> > dummy.
> > TIA for any help anyone can offer.
> > Leo

Michael-NC

Try it in safe mode.

"LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sygpb.3631$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Michael, thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried import from
> everywhere in the Windows folders. Message was always that maybe some

other
> program is running and using the files. Everything else was closed.
> I guess the mail is lost forever.
> Regards,
> Leo
>
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CAfpb.46899$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > Did you try to import them?
> >
> > "LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:MKbpb.3005$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived

> at
> > > the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message

recovery
> > that
> > > I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get

> > file
> > > download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the

> 'open'
> > > option but it will do nothing.
> > > Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
> > > folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a

> computer
> > > dummy.
> > > TIA for any help anyone can offer.
> > > Leo

Trent©

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:30:58 GMT, "Michael-NC"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did you try to import them?

Import from what program? lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:37:26 -0500, "LEO THOMPSON"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, Michael, thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried import from
>everywhere in the Windows folders. Message was always that maybe some other
>program is running and using the files. Everything else was closed.
>I guess the mail is lost forever.
>Regards,
>Leo

No...its probably NOT lost forever.

Make a directory called PROTECT...and copy all those .dbx files into
that folder.

Then reinstall OE.

But before you do that...

Steve had an excellent idea. Make sure yer usin' the same identity
that you always did. You may have somehow switched to a new
identity...that has nothing in it.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:40:33 GMT, "Michael-NC"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try it in safe mode.

ROTFLMAO !!!

Have a nice week...