Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > client pc problem

client pc problem

eyeofmars

I have a couple client pc's that when they are shutdown they go to a black
screen with the cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.I then need to
restart them using the on/off button.I have downloaded latest service packs
and checked hardware and services and cannot
figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
TIA

caveat lector - reader beware

>From: "eyeofmars" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: alt.computer
>Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:02:04 -0500

>I have a couple client pc's that when they are shutdown they go to a black
>screen with the cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.I then need to
>restart them using the on/off button.I have downloaded latest service packs
>and checked hardware and services and cannot
>figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
>TIA

Is this happening with two separate PCs, that are not on a network?

Do they beep on POST?

Power down and open them up.
Make sure every thing is installed tight.
Check memory, video card, and all cable connections inside and out, then
power up and test.

The cursor, blinking in the upper corner, tells me DOS or the OS (Command.com)
is started, but not proceeding. Possible a corrupted kernnel.

It is safe to turn off the machine, with blinking cursor, the machine is ready
to shutdown.

I hope this helps.

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Trent©

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:02:04 -0500, "eyeofmars" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a couple client pc's that when they are shutdown they go to a black
>screen with the cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.I then need to
>restart them using the on/off button.I have downloaded latest service packs
>and checked hardware and services and cannot
>figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
>TIA

Need more info...AT?...ATX?...OS?...etc.

Have a nice week...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

(E-Mail Removed)pAmNot ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Do they beep on POST?
>
> Power down and open them up.
> Make sure every thing is installed tight.
> Check memory, video card, and all cable connections inside and out,
> then
> power up and test.
>
> The cursor, blinking in the upper corner, tells me DOS or the OS
> (Command.com) is started, but not proceeding. Possible a corrupted
> kernnel.

Did you even read the original post at all? The machines go to a blinking
cursor at shutdown. How the hell would the machine, startup, run fine and
then hang at a blinking cursor if the hardware was loose, cables came off,
or the OS was corrupted (it's spelled, kernel, btw, not kernnel)? If you
lack this much reading comprehension, you should find a business that
doesn't involve complex thought.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Trent©

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 07:01:56 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Do they beep on POST?
>>
>> Power down and open them up.
>> Make sure every thing is installed tight.
>> Check memory, video card, and all cable connections inside and out,
>> then
>> power up and test.
>>
>> The cursor, blinking in the upper corner, tells me DOS or the OS
>> (Command.com) is started, but not proceeding. Possible a corrupted
>> kernnel.
>>

>Did you even read the original post at all? The machines go to a blinking
>cursor at shutdown. How the hell would the machine, startup, run fine and
>then hang at a blinking cursor if the hardware was loose, cables came off,
>or the OS was corrupted (it's spelled, kernel, btw, not kernnel)? If you
>lack this much reading comprehension, you should find a business that
>doesn't involve complex thought.

But he DID put a smiley face at the end of all that important info!
lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Oldus Fartus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
eyeofmars <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote these words:

| I have a couple client pc's that when they are shutdown they go to a
| black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.I
| then need to restart them using the on/off button.I have downloaded
| latest service packs and checked hardware and services and cannot
| figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
| TIA

Without knowing the exact operating system, one can only guess at the
cause. Typical (in no particular order) are:

Damaged windows exit sound files
Incorrect or incompatible ACPI or APM settings
A TSR which has failed to terminate, or another program which failed to
close properly.
Wrong settings in BIOS
Incorrect video card settings.

You might also try disabling fast shutdown.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus