Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows System File Checker

Windows System File Checker

Cory Lechner

I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).

1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?

2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue screen
of death" occasionally...

3) any other advice on using "System File Checker"??

Cory

Kenny

Ignore any messages about "user.exe" and "setup.dll", this is a bug in Win98
SFC. It's so long since I've done it not sure if it's maybe "user.dll" and
"setup.exe".

--

Kenny

"Cory Lechner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
> occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
> system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
>
> 1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?
>
> 2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue

screen
> of death" occasionally...
>
> 3) any other advice on using "System File Checker"??
>
> Cory

Thor

"Cory Lechner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
> occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
> system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
>
> 1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?

Unless you are having trouble with something, then I wouldn't automatically
do that. SFC can sometimes flag legit files as corrupt, merely because they
are newer versions not identified properly. This has happened with IE
updates many times.

> 2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue

screen
> of death" occasionally...

If you think it may be related to the error, then yes you can try it, but
always opt to back up the file you are replacing, and note it's location.

Trent©

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:46:59 -0600, "Cory Lechner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
>occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
>system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
>
>1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?
>
>2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue screen
>of death" occasionally...
>
>3) any other advice on using "System File Checker"??
>
>Cory

Yes. Don't use it.

Have a nice week...

Trent