Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

Cory Lechner

1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
to Win 98 SE??

2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?

Cory

Wizard

Just rename win.com and install from scratch making sure you install in
the same directory (C:\windows). Clean installs are generally the best
way to go but in this case it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've
done this many times.

Cory Lechner wrote:

> 1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
> to Win 98 SE??
>
> 2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?
>
> Cory

Michael-NC

There is a Win98SE "Update CD" available.

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-011.htm

That will keep all your programs intact.

Alternatively, delete C:\windows in DOS and do a clean install of 98SE, then
reinstall all your apps.

Are you sure it's worth the effort to do it?

"Cory Lechner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
> to Win 98 SE??
>
> 2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?
>
> Cory

Trent©

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:40:22 -0600, "Cory Lechner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
>to Win 98 SE??
>
>2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?
>
>Cory

Just upgrade into the existing Windows directory.

Have a nice week...

Trent