Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Interesting development with NewEgg.com

Interesting development with NewEgg.com

Plato

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Since when is there no sales tax in jersey? I've lived here my entire life
> (20+ years) and as far back as I can remember we've always had a 6% sales
> tax.

It was 7% for like 6 months.

Plato

Adam Steiner wrote:

> Maybe it was that there's so sales tax on clothing? I know when they had

And food. There are also special areas in inner cities where, to promote
shopping, the sales tax is like 3%. Chances are tho you'll get your car
ripped off or get mugged going back to your car so you have to pack heat
to shop in these areas.

Calvin Crumrine

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:04:18 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:
>

>>"Mr. Majestik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vq42q8fbls7e30
>>@corp.supernews.com:
>>

>>>Yeah, and pay the sales tax, too.

>>Sales tax is not an optional thing. If you buy stuff online and don't pay
>>sales tax when you buy it, you are /supposed/ to state this on your state
>>income tax return (at least that's what I read from 2002's NJ State tax
>>forms).

> This internet sales tax free ride will eventually end. At some point
> the states will collectively decide to collect sales taxes at point of
> sale, not point of purchase.
>
> Roy - Carpe Noctem

They can't-lack of jurisdiction. See many cases of Alaska's attempts to
tax the *entire* revenue of oil companies who do business in the state.
And California's too, I believe. Nearly all have failed-and those which
haven't have been severely limited.

Calvin Crumrine

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>This internet sales tax free ride will eventually end. At some point
>>the states will collectively decide to collect sales taxes at point of
>>sale, not point of purchase.

> Yes. As I said, NJ residents are already supposed to note how much stuff
> they bought tax free on the internet on their tax returns. This whole
> country should do away with state based sales tax at some point and make a
> flat rate across the country. Yes, this does have issues, but it also lets
> one company (like newegg) not have a headache of deciding who gets taxed
> and who doesn't and how much the tax is and stuff.

Moreover it evens out the treatment. For instance, Alaska doesn't have a
state income tax so we don't even have a way to report our
internet/catalog sales. (Of course we don't have a state sales tax
either-but one has been proposed.)

Trent©

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:46:44 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One of the best things about the US Income Tax system is that it mostly
>works on the honor principle. AFAIK all the state income tax systems
>work similarly. The more dishonorable people there are in the US the
>less well these systems work. When they fall far enough they'll be
>replaced with one that I think I can *guarantee* will be less pleasant,
>both for you & for everybody else.
>
>Think *real* hard before destroying a system that mostly leaves it up to
>you what you report.

There are many states and cities that do very well without income tax
and sales tax...thank you very much! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:06:20 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>This internet sales tax free ride will eventually end. At some point
>>>the states will collectively decide to collect sales taxes at point of
>>>sale, not point of purchase.

>> Yes. As I said, NJ residents are already supposed to note how much stuff
>> they bought tax free on the internet on their tax returns. This whole
>> country should do away with state based sales tax at some point and make a
>> flat rate across the country. Yes, this does have issues, but it also lets
>> one company (like newegg) not have a headache of deciding who gets taxed
>> and who doesn't and how much the tax is and stuff.
>>

>Moreover it evens out the treatment. For instance, Alaska doesn't have a
>state income tax so we don't even have a way to report our
>internet/catalog sales. (Of course we don't have a state sales tax
>either-but one has been proposed.)

Most states (all?) that have a sales tax also have a use tax. If yer
not required to pay the sales tax, you are required to pay the use
tax.

And there is a separate reporting form for this. It has nothing to do
with income tax.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Mr. Majestik

Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think *real* hard before destroying a system that mostly leaves it up to
> you what you report.

Well, that's the thing about America, everyone is entitled to their own
opinion and actions. Of course, if everyone followed every stinkin' law,
then we'd still be a colony of England. Now, not paying a *sales* tax when I
buy something *NOT IN THE STATE*, makes more sense to me than blindly
following another stupid politician that wants your money, no matter
what.............So, I think I'll continue to NOT pay some taxes, and NOT
follow other stupid laws. That's the way of change and the way to avoid fiat
govt', thank you very much.

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Newegg.com now has presence in New Jersey (Not just City of Industry CA).
> They apparently bought a building as a new distribution center in NJ.
> Wonder if I'll be lucky enough that all the stuff I buy will /ship/ from
> New Jersey, meaning I could pay FedEx Saver (which is often free) and get
> next day delivery...

Of course the problem with that is you'll probably have to start paying
sales tax. Usually if the business you are ordering from has a presence in
your state, they have to charge state sales tax. (assuming NJ has a state
sales tax)

> "Mr. Majestik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vq42q8fbls7e30
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Yeah, and pay the sales tax, too.

> Sales tax is not an optional thing. If you buy stuff online and don't pay
> sales tax when you buy it, you are /supposed/ to state this on your state
> income tax return (at least that's what I read from 2002's NJ State tax
> forms).

That's called a "use tax" here in Ohio. Yes you are supposed to report it
and pay it, but nobody ever does. It's practically a universally ignored
regulation here.

Trent©

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:00:52 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "Mr. Majestik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vq42q8fbls7e30
>> @corp.supernews.com:
>>
>> > Yeah, and pay the sales tax, too.

>> Sales tax is not an optional thing. If you buy stuff online and don't pay
>> sales tax when you buy it, you are /supposed/ to state this on your state
>> income tax return (at least that's what I read from 2002's NJ State tax
>> forms).

>That's called a "use tax" here in Ohio. Yes you are supposed to report it
>and pay it, but nobody ever does. It's practically a universally ignored
>regulation here.

Not true at all.

There are hundreds of thousands of dollars collected in use tax in
Ohio each year...and probably more.

Have a nice week...

Trent