Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Ethernet card problem

Ethernet card problem

mark mandell

Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just won't
kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or the drivers
that came with the motherboard which has three different network
possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

Would I be better off just getting an ethernet card for a PCI slot? Or is
there something I'm NOT doing which could enable it properly?

Mark

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:n4kob.14840$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
> won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
> the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
> network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there is
a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it not
get detected, or does it get detected and the drivers install but it
doesn't pull an IP address, can't ping/be pinged when you assign a static
address, etc.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Plato

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> > Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
> > won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
> > the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
> > network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

> This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there is
> a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it not

I doubt it's disabled by default.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

mark mandell

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3fa2c02b$0$53188$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> >
> > > Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
> > > won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
> > > the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
> > > network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

> > This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there

is
> > a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it

not

> I doubt it's disabled by default.
>
> > get detected, or does it get detected and the drivers install but it
> > doesn't pull an IP address, can't ping/be pinged when you assign a

static
> > address, etc.
> >
> > --
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> > website: under construction
> > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> > email/IM for rates/services

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it from(actually
bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago). The tech who
fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the right track anyway.

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:GiHob.14244$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:

> I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it
> from(actually bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago).
> The tech who fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the
> right track anyway.

And the solution was...?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Trent©

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:13:39 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>"mark mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:GiHob.14244$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net:
>
>> I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it
>> from(actually bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago).
>> The tech who fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the
>> right track anyway.
>>

>And the solution was...?

Probably...plug the cable into the NIC that was enabled! lol

As you suggested, he probably had 2 NIC's in the computer...and had
the cable on the wrong one.

Have a nice week...

Trent