Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > help needed, motherboard problem

help needed, motherboard problem

Matt

I've got a Giga-byte GA-7N400L with an Athlon XP 2600 (i tried thoroughbred
and barton), 512 DDR333, Matrox P650.
When I run WinXP installation from DOS it copies all the files ok then when
it restarts and asks you to choose which partition you want to install on it
just comes up with a stop error (i forgot to write all the details down). I
can remember having this problem in the past with older boards and earlier
versions of XP so I changed the jumper on the board to 100mhz so that the
athlon would run slower, this allowed me to carry on installing windows
without any problems. When I'd finished installing all the drivers etc I
switched it back to 166mhz but now it just boots to a blue screen that just
says "Hardware Error" and there's a beeping sound coming from inside my pc
which changes tone when you go in and out of the menu's in the bios, and I
haven't got an internal speaker!?.

Is my motherboard dead out of the box or am i doing something wrong?

TIA

Matt.

Mr. Majestik

Matt <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4obob.2596$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> I've got a Giga-byte GA-7N400L with an Athlon XP 2600 (i tried

thoroughbred
> and barton), 512 DDR333, Matrox P650.

Which cpu do you have? If it's not a Barton, I believe you need to set the
FSB at 133mghz. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong

Matt

I've got both types, they both do the same..

"Mr. Majestik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Matt <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:4obob.2596$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > I've got a Giga-byte GA-7N400L with an Athlon XP 2600 (i tried

> thoroughbred
> > and barton), 512 DDR333, Matrox P650.

> Which cpu do you have? If it's not a Barton, I believe you need to set the
> FSB at 133mghz. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong

gene

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:54:33 -0000, "Matt"
<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote:

>I've got a Giga-byte GA-7N400L with an Athlon XP 2600 (i tried thoroughbred
>and barton), 512 DDR333, Matrox P650.
>When I run WinXP installation from DOS it copies all the files ok then when
>it restarts and asks you to choose which partition you want to install on it
>just comes up with a stop error (i forgot to write all the details down). I
>can remember having this problem in the past with older boards and earlier
>versions of XP so I changed the jumper on the board to 100mhz so that the
>athlon would run slower, this allowed me to carry on installing windows
>without any problems. When I'd finished installing all the drivers etc I
>switched it back to 166mhz but now it just boots to a blue screen that just
>says "Hardware Error" and there's a beeping sound coming from inside my pc
>which changes tone when you go in and out of the menu's in the bios, and I
>haven't got an internal speaker!?.
>
>Is my motherboard dead out of the box or am i doing something wrong?
>
>TIA
>
>Matt.

Hi Matt.

As a recent purchaser of an MSI board that had the problem of a
malfunctioning LAN port, I would recommend flashing the BIOS to the
latest version:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...GA-7N400-L.htm

and installing all the latest drivers from nvidia. That was part of
the problem with my MSI.

Something to try before taking the trouble of returning the MB for a
replacement.

Good luck!

gene

Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

DeMoN LaG

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in news:4obob.2596$lm1.13704
@wards.force9.net:

> Is my motherboard dead out of the box or am i doing something wrong?

Your RAM can not handle 133 mhz (266DDR) speeds, more than likely. Try
swapping it out (or if you have 2 sticks, try one at a time).

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Matt

The ram is DDR333, Its works fine on the ga-7vaxp ultra.
I've solved the problem anyway, you have to install XP without smartdrv.exe.
It takes over an hour this way but it works.
Thanks for the help,

Matt.