Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cannot get on the Net

Cannot get on the Net

Alan

This may not be the correct group to ask my question so if its not forgive
me.

My daughters was told by her ISP that her PC has a virus. Her ISP (
NTLworld.com) said she had not updated her McAfee antivirus and firewall for
over a month and it had allowed in this virus. She is now unable to access
the internet at all and is told by NTLworld that someone else should go to
the McAfee website and down a DAT file and install it on my daughters PC to
remove the virus which will allow her to go back on-line. I've looked at
the McAfee site and find it difficult to locate what it is I'm supposed to
be looking for, can someone advise me further please. Or even an
alternative to get her on line

Alan

caveat lector - reader beware

>From: "Alan" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: alt.computer
>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:49:28 +0000 (UTC)

>This may not be the correct group to ask my question so if its not forgive
>me.
>
>My daughters was told by her ISP that her PC has a virus. Her ISP (
>NTLworld.com) said she had not updated her McAfee antivirus and firewall for
>over a month and it had allowed in this virus. She is now unable to access
>the internet at all and is told by NTLworld that someone else should go to
>the McAfee website and down a DAT file and install it on my daughters PC to
>remove the virus which will allow her to go back on-line. I've looked at
>the McAfee site and find it difficult to locate what it is I'm supposed to
>be looking for, can someone advise me further please. Or even an
>alternative to get her on line
>
>Alan

http://download.mcafee.com/us/

click on "downloads"

look for DAT

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Wizard

You are looking for "superdats" or "sdats" but will only find them on
the web for up to version 6. If you have 7 then you will need to go to
ftp.mcafee.com/pub/antivirus/superdat/intel

Alan wrote:

> This may not be the correct group to ask my question so if its not forgive
> me.
>
> My daughters was told by her ISP that her PC has a virus. Her ISP (
> NTLworld.com) said she had not updated her McAfee antivirus and firewall for
> over a month and it had allowed in this virus. She is now unable to access
> the internet at all and is told by NTLworld that someone else should go to
> the McAfee website and down a DAT file and install it on my daughters PC to
> remove the virus which will allow her to go back on-line. I've looked at
> the McAfee site and find it difficult to locate what it is I'm supposed to
> be looking for, can someone advise me further please. Or even an
> alternative to get her on line
>
> Alan

Alan

Yes, installing and running the superdat files seem to have sorted things
out, she is back on line, thanks to everyone who responded to my request for
help.
Alan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...