Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Black lines on screen on bootup

Black lines on screen on bootup

Shepİ

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"anonsoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:REoob.7742$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of

>sync,
>> but not always.
>>
>> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few

>monitors,
>> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about

>claims
>> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the problem
>> if drivers aren't loaded.
>>
>> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into

>OS?
>> or what.

>What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start button
>and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
>anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
>however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even less.
>
>The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
>
>The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
>video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
>Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
>Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.

Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
sometimes help.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Bryan Henderson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"anonsoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:REoob.7742$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of

> >sync,
> >> but not always.
> >>
> >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few

> >monitors,
> >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about

> >claims
> >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the

problem
> >> if drivers aren't loaded.
> >>
> >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into

> >OS?
> >> or what.

> >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start

button
> >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
> >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
> >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even

less.

> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
> >
> >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
> >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
> >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
> >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
> >

> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
> sometimes help.

no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is a
Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?

Shepİ

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>

>> >"anonsoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:REoob.7742$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> >sync,

>> >monitors,
>> >claims

>problem

>> >OS?
>> >
>> >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start

>button
>> >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
>> >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
>> >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even

>less.
>> >
>> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
>> >
>> >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
>> >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
>> >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
>> >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
>> >

>> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
>> sometimes help.
>>

> no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is a
>Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?

You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
freebie

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Bryan Henderson

"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:16:37 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >> The new(er) PSU is a name-brand or generic, possibly junk?
> >>

> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info I don't
> >believe it is junk. Most of the time this PC works fine. The fault is

very
> >intermittent one startup in 20 or 30 perhaps.
> >

> It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
> very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
> name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
> supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
> recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
> fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
> because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
> the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
> at yearly intervals.

What make of PSU do you recommend for future reference? How easy is it to
change the rear fan? What type of fan should I get if not sleeve-bearing
type?

Bryan Henderson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"

of

> >problem

into

> >button

> >less.

Radeon

> >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
> >> sometimes help.
> >>

> > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is

> >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
> >

> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
> freebie

I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
to ECS or SIS web site?

I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?

Shepİ

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:38:49 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>

>> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>of

>> >problem

>into

>> >button
>> >less.

>Radeon

>> > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is

>> >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
>> >

>> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
>> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
>> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
>> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
>> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
>> freebie
>>

>I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
>to ECS or SIS web site?
>
>I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?

There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
win98SE/XP,is the 117.
http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
faster from the FTP server.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Shepİ

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:41:32 +0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Shepİ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote :

>>> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
>>> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
>>> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
>>> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
>>> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
>>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
>>> freebie
>>>

>>I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
>>to ECS or SIS web site?
>>
>>I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
>>

>There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
>win98SE/XP,is the 117.
>http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
>faster from the FTP server.
>HTH

PS
I have the same board and use the latest HoneyX BIOS,
http://pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Shepİ

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:43:14 +0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

>>>I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
>>>to ECS or SIS web site?
>>>
>>>I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
>>>

>>There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
>>win98SE/XP,is the 117.
>>http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
>>faster from the FTP server.
>>HTH

>PS
>I have the same board and use the latest HoneyX BIOS,
>http://pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6

PPS
I keep a boatable .ISO of that bios here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/stuff/oc030327.zip
Readme included.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

kony

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:00:43 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
>> very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
>> name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
>> supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
>> recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
>> fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
>> because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
>> the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
>> at yearly intervals.
>>

>What make of PSU do you recommend for future reference? How easy is it to
>change the rear fan? What type of fan should I get if not sleeve-bearing
>type?

There are many good name-brands, that is the assurance of quality.
Antec, Sparkle/Fortron, Delta, higher-wattage Enermax, PC Power &
Cooling, "some" of the Channel Wells, Seasonic, it can depend on what
wattage you want too, and the price-point.

For example, the least costly >= 400W I'd consider would be a Chieftec
420W, but their fans aren't the greatest either, yet fans are
relatively cheap. The best value at >= 400W is probably a
Sparkle/Fortron 400W, but they lack an air intake on the underside, so
more attention is needed for motherboard cooling. Sparkle/Fortron are
also one of the best values at the 300-350W range, and quieter than
average too.

Antecs are solid but overpriced in the Truepower series, as are
Seasonics, and Enermax are good as well but too optimistically rated,
figure only worth 70-80% of rated wattage compared to the other
aforementioned brands. Deltas are arguably the best bang-for-buck and
good quality, but usually only OEM, hard to find and they sell out
quick when a vendor gets a single lot of them.

Of course there are others but they're harder to find, the main point
would be to buy a brand that's a manufacturer of PSU, or field-tested
to be good, like Antec. Many of these PSU manufacturers also make
generic PSU, but they don't put THEIR name on the label on those
lower-end models.

I don't know how easy the rear fan is to change, it depends on whether
they soldered it to the PCB or not. I thought those had a single,
small connector on the PCB, into which was plugged a splitter with
two plugs on it, into which both fans were plugged. If that's the
situation then you can unplug the fan from the splitter and buy
another with same connector, or perhaps it's as easy to solder-on the
leads to the old fan connector, rather than hunting around for a fan
with the connector already on it, as the connector isn't the common
type found on motherboards, such a fan would be available at
electronics supply houses rather than PC shops or PC vendors. The
best solution is probably to buy the exact fan you want and then go
from there, whatever is needed to adapt to the PSU.

There are only a couple of decent sleeve-bearing fan makes IMHO, Papst
and Panaflo, but for the rear exhaust on a PSU it is best to use a
name-brand dual ball-bearing fan. A few decent makes might include
Nidec, NMB, Sunon, Papst, Delta, Sanyo-Denki, Comair-Rotron, Panaflo's
Ball-bearing versions (which are rare, hard to find). Choose similar
RPM or amperage rating for similar airflow, or if you're confident
that it'll stay cool with lower airflow, noise, you might choose a
somewhat lower RPM fan.

Dave

Dave

kony

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start button
>and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
>anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
>however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even less.

You might try testing the memory with
http://www.memtest86.com

Also you could try disabling everything loading at windows' startup,
though with this problem only occuring once in 20 times it may be hard
to troubleshoot.

Dave

Dave