Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wireless operation

Wireless operation

mcp6453

I'm confused over a wireless network situation. I have the Netgear MR814
wireless router with the latest firmware and a Cisco 350 Aironet PCMCIA
card in my notebook computer. With WEP set to 128 bit in the Netgear, I
am not able to connect with the notebook unless I enter the WEP key, as
it should be. However, in the Cisco software, if I click "Allow
Association to Mixed Cells" in the Network Security area, I can
immediately connect to the Netgear router. It both cases, it is not
necessary for me to enter the SSID of my router in the notebook.

Additional development: If I enter a made up WEP key in the Aironet
software, the notebook connects just fine. Something is really strange.