Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Bulk Cat 5 for inside/outside run?

Bulk Cat 5 for inside/outside run?

Gary

Hi,

I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it to
be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
future use.

In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

--
To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

Chet

I have seen bulk Cat 5 cable at Home Depot but I can't say whether any of it
is black.
"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
> in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
> possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
> sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it

> be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
> FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
> Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
> in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
> future use.
>
> In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gary
>
> --
> To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

DeMoN LaG

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other
> areas in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a
> 250' roll or possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my
> home (direct sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and
> humidity). I want it to

.... How far are you going to run with this cable? There are limitations
to how far you can run an ethernet cable before the signal degrades too
much.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Adam Steiner

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other
> > areas in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a
> > 250' roll or possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my
> > home (direct sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and
> > humidity). I want it to
> >

> ... How far are you going to run with this cable? There are limitations
> to how far you can run an ethernet cable before the signal degrades too
> much.
>
> --

Aren't there issues with running (some) cables outside of your house?
Grounding issues for lightning and all? I remember seeing some cables that
were rated for outdoors, some that weren't...

Gary

I think the longest run would be 150'.

Thanks,
Gary

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other
> > areas in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a
> > 250' roll or possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my
> > home (direct sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and
> > humidity). I want it to
> >

> ... How far are you going to run with this cable? There are limitations
> to how far you can run an ethernet cable before the signal degrades too
> much.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Robert Baer

Chet wrote:

> I have seen bulk Cat 5 cable at Home Depot but I can't say whether any of it
> is black.
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
> > in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
> > possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
> > sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it

> > be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
> > FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
> > Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
> > in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
> > future use.
> >
> > In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Gary
> >
> > --
> > To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

Isn't the max spec length about 350 feet?

DH

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
> in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
> possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
> sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it

> be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
> FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
> Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
> in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
> future use.
>
> In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gary
>
> --
> To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

A very good answer to your question and others can be found here:
http://www.theheadwaters.com/cables/faq.htm#7

HIH,

Dave H.

Gary

Very good info!
Thanks,
Gary

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in message
news:bnlgre$12gjd4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other

areas
> > in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll

or
> > possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
> > sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want

it
> > be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e

and
> > FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
> > Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids'

computer
> > in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
> > future use.
> >
> > In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy

it?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Gary
> >
> > --
> > To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.
> >

> A very good answer to your question and others can be found here:
> http://www.theheadwaters.com/cables/faq.htm#7
>
> HIH,
>
> Dave H.

Wizard

1) Each run must be limited to 100 Meters.
2) I know of no cable that can survive outside or direct burial. It will
need to be in a water tight PVC pipe. (I it were me I would buy
"shielded" cat5E, which costs 3 times as much)
3) Cable generally comes in 1000 ft spools, although smaller ones can be
found.
4) Finding Black will not be much of a problem, however, following
number 2 above, it isn't an issue.
5) Never heard of FastCat