Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Nero burning CD's

Nero burning CD's

Frank D

Been reading the recent posts about Nero. I cannot compare it to other
CD burners but it works OK.

Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

Night_Seer

Frank D wrote:
> Been reading the recent posts about Nero. I cannot compare it to other
> CD burners but it works OK.
>
> Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
> set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
> change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
> them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

Files on a CD are ALWAYS read-only. So whether you use a burned cd or a
pressed cd, anything you take off of a cd and put on your hard drive
will be read-only. You must go through and change it yourself.

--
Night_Seer

Night_Seer

Night_Seer wrote:
> Frank D wrote:
>> Been reading the recent posts about Nero. I cannot compare it to
>> other CD burners but it works OK.
>>
>> Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
>> set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
>> change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to
>> burn them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

> Files on a CD are ALWAYS read-only. So whether you use a burned cd
> or a pressed cd, anything you take off of a cd and put on your hard
> drive will be read-only. You must go through and change it yourself.

Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
only...my mistake.

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
> only...my mistake.

Ripping music doesn't copy a file. Ripping music reads the raw music data
and writes a new file.

To the OP, you could use the command line based ATTRIB command, as in:
ATTRIB -r *.* /s
This will remove the read only (-r), on all files (*.*) in the current and
all subdirectories (/s)

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Well except when you rip music, it seems they are not always read
>> only...my mistake.
>>

> Ripping music doesn't copy a file. Ripping music reads the raw music
> data and writes a new file.
>
> To the OP, you could use the command line based ATTRIB command, as in:
> ATTRIB -r *.* /s
> This will remove the read only (-r), on all files (*.*) in the
> current and all subdirectories (/s)

I guess that has something to do with redbook, that I don't understand
fully. I thought reading something and then writing the exact same
thing on your HD, meant copying...well obviously it doesn't or they
wouldn't call it ripping.

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I guess that has something to do with redbook, that I don't understand
> fully. I thought reading something and then writing the exact same
> thing on your HD, meant copying...well obviously it doesn't or they
> wouldn't call it ripping.

Music on an audio CD isn't stored as files like data CDs are. Data CDs
have files with file attributes. Copying a file from CD to HD is just like
copying from HD to HD. If you copy a readonly file from one folder to
another it is still read only. If you copy a readonly file on a CD (unless
you are using packet writing, all files on a CD are read only), it ends up
readonly on the other side. Ripping music is different. A program has to
read the audio tracks, convert them to a .wav, .mp3, or .ogg file format
and write a new file to the disc. It isn't a file being copied, rather a
file being created.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Ardent

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:19:10 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Frank D)
wrote:

>Whenever I burn a CD all of the files on the CD have their attributes
>set to read only and if I copy them back to the hard disk I have the
>change the attributes file by file. Is there a setting in Nero to burn
>them with the same attributes as on the original file. ?

While others have explained why the read only attribute here is some
help.

If you do copy lots of files frequently from data CDs like I do then
the read only attribute becomes a problem. Servant Salamander, the 2
pane file browser has a setting by which it automatically removes the
read only attribute while copying from CDs.

I have ver 1.51 which is freeware and a nifty program. Got it several
years back, so no hab\ndy uri. Search Google.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only