Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Anyone know wireless networks?

Anyone know wireless networks?

Night_Seer

Night_Seer wrote:
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
>> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:Xns941CEF254A104darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16:
>>

>>> All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver
>>> program that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for
>>> the card was installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the
>>> two devices is going adversely affect them. You can always change
>>> them back.

>> As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a
>> wireless network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows
>> XP on my laptop to find my wireless access point since it doesn't
>> run on the default channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID.
>> Windows XP is great for the "plug everything in and turn it all on"
>> approach, but for everything else the card's software is a must.
>>
>> Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the
>> card's own software and set the network up that way. You should be
>> able to tell it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up,
>> and not to connect to anything it finds.
>>

> The cards software seems to be just as bad and not at all helpful. I
> will look through it so maybe I can figure it out, thanks for the
> help.

Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware, and set
them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it seems to work a
little better, but it still disconnects after a few minutes, then I just
click on connect again, and it connects fine, says it has an excellent
connection....why does it keep disconnecting?

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware, and
> set them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it seems
> to work a little better, but it still disconnects after a few minutes,
> then I just click on connect again, and it connects fine, says it has
> an excellent connection....why does it keep disconnecting?

Check your wireless access point's firmware. What model card do you have?
What model access point? Sometimes they don't always like to play nice,
but new drivers/firmware for you card can fix that, and new firmware for
the access point can fix it as well.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Ok I found the channel selactor under the wireless cards hardware,
>> and set them all the same...I tried several different ones, and it
>> seems to work a little better, but it still disconnects after a few
>> minutes, then I just click on connect again, and it connects fine,
>> says it has an excellent connection....why does it keep
>> disconnecting?

> Check your wireless access point's firmware. What model card do you
> have? What model access point? Sometimes they don't always like to
> play nice, but new drivers/firmware for you card can fix that, and
> new firmware for the access point can fix it as well.

I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired part of it
was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest firmware
(the access point is about a month or two old).

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired part
> of it
> was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest
> firmware (the access point is about a month or two old).

Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for the wireless card? And
what models are you talking about here? I got /very/ frequent disconnects
and reconnects when my wireless network was a DLink router and wireless
card. The router died, and I replaced it with a Linksys WAP11 v2.6 (it
cost $10 more for a new access point than shipping both ways to replace the
dead one...), and I've not seen one random disconnect since. I find this
odd as I had "matching" parts before and I don't now, thought it'd be the
other way around.

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I changed the firmware when I first got it, because the wired
>> part of it
>> was messed up. After that it worked fine, and I had the latest
>> firmware (the access point is about a month or two old).

> Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for the wireless card?
> And what models are you talking about here? I got /very/ frequent
> disconnects and reconnects when my wireless network was a DLink
> router and wireless card. The router died, and I replaced it with a
> Linksys WAP11 v2.6 (it cost $10 more for a new access point than
> shipping both ways to replace the dead one...), and I've not seen one
> random disconnect since. I find this odd as I had "matching" parts
> before and I don't now, thought it'd be the other way around.

Yup its a linksys, that's all I buy, and I got the latest firmware, and it
has no drivers. I checked the laptop and it seems up to date, it is brand
new. I am at a loss here, i might just call linksys as another person
suggested. Thanks.

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Yup its a linksys, that's all I buy, and I got the latest firmware,
> and it has no drivers. I checked the laptop and it seems up to date,
> it is brand new. I am at a loss here, i might just call linksys as
> another person suggested. Thanks.

Calling linksys would be good, but you still haven't given me any model
numbers to work with. Linksys makes like 5 different wireless access
points and probably just as many wireless cards.