Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Anyone know wireless networks?

Anyone know wireless networks?

Night_Seer

I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its been used
only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am having
trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the ssid broadcast
through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and tried to input the
information manually into the laptop, but it would not recognize the
network. I also have WEP enabled, and input the key properly on the laptop.
The only way I could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works
ok now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our area
as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects every now
and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like
the laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to be a
way to do this. Could this just be interference or something? We have
NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is constantly
connected and printing, with no interference, but this laptop will just not
work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I thought
I'd check with you guys first, thanks.

--
Night_Seer

Duane Arnold

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
> been used
> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am
> having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the ssid
> broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and tried to
> input the information manually into the laptop, but it would not
> recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input the key
> properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work was if I
> broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There are a
> couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed, and for
> some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and then it
> tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the laptop to
> just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to be a way to
> do this. Could this just be interference or something? We have NEVER
> had a problem with our wireless print server and it is constantly
> connected and printing, with no interference, but this laptop will
> just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if it is
> necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first, thanks.

You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
devices?

Duane

Night_Seer

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
>> been used
>> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am
>> having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the
>> ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and
>> tried to input the information manually into the laptop, but it
>> would not recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input
>> the key properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work
>> was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There
>> are a couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed,
>> and for some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and
>> then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the
>> laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to
>> be a way to do this. Could this just be interference or something?
>> We have NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is
>> constantly connected and printing, with no interference, but this
>> laptop will just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if
>> it is necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first, thanks.
>>

> You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
> wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
> devices?
>
> Duane

The access point is a Link sys, and it is set up on a specific channel,
but I could not find where to et it for the laptop...doe sit automatically
find the right channel? I am afraid to change too many things because it
might mess up a perfectly working print server. The laptop has a toshiba
wireless lan mini pci card, on a brand new toshiba laptop. I am seriously
thinking about the channels bit, but i'll have to change ot on the print
server too, but I need to know how to change it on the laptop.

--
Night_Seer

Duane Arnold

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
>>> been used
>>> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I
>>> am having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the
>>> ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and
>>> tried to input the information manually into the laptop, but it
>>> would not recognize the network. I also have WEP enabled, and input
>>> the key properly on the laptop. The only way I could get it to work
>>> was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok now. Problem is, There
>>> are a couple other wireless networks in our area as I have noticed,
>>> and for some reason, our network disconnects every now and then, and
>>> then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like the
>>> laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to
>>> be a way to do this. Could this just be interference or something?
>>> We have NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is
>>> constantly connected and printing, with no interference, but this
>>> laptop will just not work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if
>>> it is necessary, but I thought I'd check with you guys first,
>>> thanks.
>>>

>> You have other channels you can try that are not used by the other
>> wireless devices in the area. What's the brand name of the wireless
>> devices?
>>
>> Duane

> The access point is a Link sys, and it is set up on a specific
> channel,
> but I could not find where to et it for the laptop...doe sit
> automatically find the right channel? I am afraid to change too many
> things because it might mess up a perfectly working print server. The
> laptop has a toshiba wireless lan mini pci card, on a brand new
> toshiba laptop. I am seriously thinking about the channels bit, but
> i'll have to change ot on the print server too, but I need to know how
> to change it on the laptop.

All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

Duane

DeMoN LaG

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns941CEF254A104darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16:

> All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
> that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
> installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
> going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a wireless
network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows XP on my laptop
to find my wireless access point since it doesn't run on the default
channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID. Windows XP is great for the
"plug everything in and turn it all on" approach, but for everything else
the card's software is a must.

Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the card's
own software and set the network up that way. You should be able to tell
it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up, and not to connect to
anything it finds.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns941CEF254A104darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16:
>

>>All the wireless stuff including the card should have a driver program
>>that allows the channels to be changed, if the driver for the card was
>>installed. I don't see how changing the channel on the two devices is
>>going adversely affect them. You can always change them back.

> As far as I know, the card's software is the only way to set up a wireless
> network like you want. I've never been able to get Windows XP on my laptop
> to find my wireless access point since it doesn't run on the default
> channel of 6, and doesn't broadcast the SSID. Windows XP is great for the
> "plug everything in and turn it all on" approach, but for everything else
> the card's software is a must.
>
> Untick the box to let Windows configure the network, install/run the card's
> own software and set the network up that way. You should be able to tell
> it to connect /only/ to the network you have set up, and not to connect to
> anything it finds.

The cards software seems to be just as bad and not at all helpful. I
will look through it so maybe I can figure it out, thanks for the help.

--
Night_Seer

dennis

Hi Night_Seer...
I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot from
reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet? I have found
them to be very professional and helpful. Also usually have been able to
talk to a support person within a couple of minutes. I think on a saturday
once I had to wait 30 minutes... but called them 3 or 4 times for some
problem installations and had my problem fixed within several minutes.

oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys) so to
avoid finger pointing.

let us know what you find to resolve your issue.

Dennis Meissner
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its been

used
> only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a laptop, and I am

having
> trouble getting it hooked up properly. I did not want the ssid broadcast
> through the airwaves, so I had it turned off, and tried to input the
> information manually into the laptop, but it would not recognize the
> network. I also have WEP enabled, and input the key properly on the

laptop.
> The only way I could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it

works
> ok now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our

area
> as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects every now
> and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the others. I would like
> the laptop to just ignore the other networks, but there doesn't seem to be

> way to do this. Could this just be interference or something? We have
> NEVER had a problem with our wireless print server and it is constantly
> connected and printing, with no interference, but this laptop will just

not
> work properly. I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I

thought
> I'd check with you guys first, thanks.
>
> --
> Night_Seer

Night_Seer

dennis wrote:
> Hi Night_Seer...
> I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot from
> reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet? I have
> found them to be very professional and helpful. Also usually have
> been able to talk to a support person within a couple of minutes. I
> think on a saturday once I had to wait 30 minutes... but called them
> 3 or 4 times for some problem installations and had my problem fixed
> within several minutes.
>
> oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys)
> so to avoid finger pointing.
>
> let us know what you find to resolve your issue.
>
> Dennis Meissner
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
>> been used only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a
>> laptop, and I am having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I
>> did not want the ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it
>> turned off, and tried to input the information manually into the
>> laptop, but it would not recognize the network. I also have WEP
>> enabled, and input the key properly on the laptop. The only way I
>> could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok
>> now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our
>> area as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects
>> every now and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the
>> others. I would like the laptop to just ignore the other networks,
>> but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Could this just be
>> interference or something? We have NEVER had a problem with our
>> wireless print server and it is constantly connected and printing,
>> with no interference, but this laptop will just not work properly.
>> I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I thought I'd
>> check with you guys first, thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Night_Seer

That's a great idea which I might get down to, but I think the problem
is with the toshiba laptop, as the linksys access point and print server
communicate perfectly, and have never given me problems. THanks.

--
Night_Seer

dennis

Hi Night_Seer,

The last problem I had was with a Sony Vaio laptop. The problem was a
configuration problem with the laptop itself with existing network adapters
(intel pro100 and IEEE 1394 were setup for bridging I believe). The linksys
support guy walked me through it. fwiw...

Dennis
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> dennis wrote:
> > Hi Night_Seer...
> > I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot from
> > reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet? I have
> > found them to be very professional and helpful. Also usually have
> > been able to talk to a support person within a couple of minutes. I
> > think on a saturday once I had to wait 30 minutes... but called them
> > 3 or 4 times for some problem installations and had my problem fixed
> > within several minutes.
> >
> > oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys)
> > so to avoid finger pointing.
> >
> > let us know what you find to resolve your issue.
> >
> > Dennis Meissner
> > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have a wireless network set up at work, and up until now its
> >> been used only for a wireless print server. Now we just got a
> >> laptop, and I am having trouble getting it hooked up properly. I
> >> did not want the ssid broadcast through the airwaves, so I had it
> >> turned off, and tried to input the information manually into the
> >> laptop, but it would not recognize the network. I also have WEP
> >> enabled, and input the key properly on the laptop. The only way I
> >> could get it to work was if I broadcast the SSID, so it works ok
> >> now. Problem is, There are a couple other wireless networks in our
> >> area as I have noticed, and for some reason, our network disconnects
> >> every now and then, and then it tries to connect to one of the
> >> others. I would like the laptop to just ignore the other networks,
> >> but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Could this just be
> >> interference or something? We have NEVER had a problem with our
> >> wireless print server and it is constantly connected and printing,
> >> with no interference, but this laptop will just not work properly.
> >> I'll go to a networking NG if it is necessary, but I thought I'd
> >> check with you guys first, thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Night_Seer

> That's a great idea which I might get down to, but I think the problem
> is with the toshiba laptop, as the linksys access point and print server
> communicate perfectly, and have never given me problems. THanks.
>
> --
> Night_Seer

Night_Seer

dennis wrote:
> Hi Night_Seer,
>
> The last problem I had was with a Sony Vaio laptop. The problem was a
> configuration problem with the laptop itself with existing network
> adapters (intel pro100 and IEEE 1394 were setup for bridging I
> believe). The linksys support guy walked me through it. fwiw...
>
> Dennis
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> dennis wrote:
>>> Hi Night_Seer...
>>> I realize this ng is great for bouncing ideas and I do learn alot
>>> from reading the posts. But have you called linksys support yet?
>>> I have found them to be very professional and helpful. Also
>>> usually have been able to talk to a support person within a couple
>>> of minutes. I think on a saturday once I had to wait 30 minutes...
>>> but called them 3 or 4 times for some problem installations and
>>> had my problem fixed within several minutes.
>>>
>>> oh btw... fwiw, I keep my wireless networks all one vendor (linksys)
>>> so to avoid finger pointing.
>>>
>>> let us know what you find to resolve your issue.
>>>
>>> Dennis Meissner
>>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> That's a great idea which I might get down to, but I think the
>> problem is with the toshiba laptop, as the linksys access point and
>> print server communicate perfectly, and have never given me
>> problems. THanks.
>>
>> --
>> Night_Seer

ok thanks..i'll give them a try.