Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Fixing old computers

Fixing old computers

John Montgomery

I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.

I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
tells me to insert a boot disk.
I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

Night_Seer

John Montgomery wrote:
> I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales
> and either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
>
> I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
> floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards
> etc. It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the
> bios tells me to insert a boot disk.
> I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

could just be either a bad floppy drive or a bad FD motherboard connector.
Also its easy to put the floppy connector on the drive in the wrong way,
especially on older ones...check that too.

--
Night_Seer

Thor

Did you check the BIOS setup and make sure the computer is set to the
correct type of floppy drive? Old ones used to have 1.2MB drives as the
default type. If this is the case, and the motherboard battery was dead,
then the defaults might be loaded. Also consider that old machines often
have dirty floppy drives.

"John Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
> either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
>
> I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
> floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
> It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
> tells me to insert a boot disk.
> I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

John Montgomery

I have swapped arround floppy drives. And I do sometimes get the cables
backwards. The floppy light will stay on in this case
And I do check the BIOS setup. I was wondering if the motherboard battery
could be the problem, but I thought if I did not power down after setting up
the BIOS I would be OK

John

Thor wrote:

> Did you check the BIOS setup and make sure the computer is set to the
> correct type of floppy drive? Old ones used to have 1.2MB drives as the
> default type. If this is the case, and the motherboard battery was dead,
> then the defaults might be loaded. Also consider that old machines often
> have dirty floppy drives.
>
> ..
> "John Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
> > either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
> >
> > I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
> > floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
> > It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
> > tells me to insert a boot disk.
> > I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

Calvin Crumrine

Stupid question-did you check the boot sequence in the BIOS? If it has one.

If you've swapped drives for one that you know works then it's not
likely the drive. Same with the disk & cables. That leaves the BIOS
settings, mobo, & controller. You mentioned swapping IDE cards-does that
include the floppy controller? (How old *are* these, anyway?) If the
floppy controller is built into the mobo have you tried using a separate
one?

John Montgomery wrote:

> I have swapped arround floppy drives. And I do sometimes get the cables
> backwards. The floppy light will stay on in this case
> And I do check the BIOS setup. I was wondering if the motherboard battery
> could be the problem, but I thought if I did not power down after setting up
> the BIOS I would be OK
>
> John
>
> Thor wrote:
>

>>Did you check the BIOS setup and make sure the computer is set to the
>>correct type of floppy drive? Old ones used to have 1.2MB drives as the
>>default type. If this is the case, and the motherboard battery was dead,
>>then the defaults might be loaded. Also consider that old machines often
>>have dirty floppy drives.
>>
>>..
>>"John Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
>>>either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
>>>
>>>I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
>>>floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
>>>It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
>>>tells me to insert a boot disk.
>>>I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

Plato

John Montgomery wrote:

> I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
> either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
>
> I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
> floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.

Chances are it's just a dirty drive. Once you've put your bootdisk in,
you've ruined it so it wont work on any other pc as well.

I have the same hobby as you. I toss lots of disks in the trash. I also
use floppy drive cleaning kits very often.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Robert Baer

John Montgomery wrote:

> I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
> either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
>
> I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
> floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
> It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
> tells me to insert a boot disk.
> I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

If the computer is old enough (but still a PC), the only drives it
could support would be low density 360K (5.25") at best.
Always use a "Golden" write-protected floppy and a good "new" drive
for checking; be careful of cable polarity, and have no IDE devices or
daughter boards (other than the simplist video possible) connected.
Faulty IDE devices can play the wierdest "games" with computer
operation!
That includes known good floppy systems acting as if they are almost
non-existant...

Frederick

Hello there John, Fixing the older computer are really fun, Huh?

FRED

Computers Enabled Inc - Cheap Notebook Computers KUTEATLBOI@gmail.com Computer Information 0 03-09-2006 04:42 AM
Old network-new computers Susan Wireless Networking 1 02-20-2006 10:27 PM
ANYONES OLD WORKING COMPUTERS AND PARTS Computer Information 1 08-24-2004 11:01 AM
Help...fixing other peoples computers is an adventure David Nesbitt A+ Certification 16 08-02-2004 07:07 AM

Advertisments